Chapter 7: My Fault

Steve, Natasha, Thor, Clint, Tony, Bruce and I all go to the African Coast, looking for this man. Steve is sitting next to me, while I'm staring off into space. I'm thinking about what I saw in my trance at the hydra base.

What if I will never be as good as Natasha? What if the Avengers really don't need me? Is Natasha ashamed of me? All I have ever wanted to do was help people, but what if I can't do that? I mean, I am an ex-assiason with a past of killing.

"Y/n, what are you stressing about?" Steve asks me, pulling me out of my trance.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I say, not wanting to talk about it to anyone.

"Come on we tell each other everything," Steve says. It's true, we do tell eachother everything. I have helped him with some of his problems in the past, mostly with Bucky, and he has helped me. But this time, I can't be vulnerable.

"We have a mission to take care of, not me," I say, and get out of my seat and walk away.

We landed the quintjet, and entered the boat, taking down a couple of the guards. Natasha and Clint went to go hide somewhere else on the boat, leaving me, Tony, Steve and Thor to confront him.

For some reason we see Ultron, a brunette girl who was at the hydra base, and a sliver headed boy all backs facing us. Pietro. "Stark is... He's a sickness," Ultron says.

"Aw, Junior. You're gonna break your old man's heart," Tony says, and they all turn around. I'm standing behind Steve, and Pietro can't see me from the angle he is at.

"If I have to," Ultron says, and the three of them are all stepping closer towards us. Pietro finally caught a glimpse of me, and his eyes widened a tad, but then looked at Tony.

"Nobody has to break anything," Thor says.

"Clearly you've never made an omelet," Ultron says.

"He beat me by one second," Tony says, which makes me chuckle.

"Ah, yes. He's funny, Mr. Stark. It's what, comfortable? Like old times?" Pietro says, and he looks down at some bombs that are below us. How does Pietro know Tony?

"This was never my life," Stark says.

"You two can still walk away from this," Steve says, taking a step forward.

"Oh, we will," Wanda says.

"I know you have suffered," Steve says, and Ultron laughs.

"Captain America. God's righteous man. Pretending you could live without a war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth but," Ultron says.

Thor interrupts him and says, "If you believe in peace, let us keep it."

"I think you're confusing peace with quiet," Ultron says.

"Uh-huh. What's the vibranium for?" Tony says, trying to get to the point.

"I'm glad you asked that, because I wanted to take this time to explain my evil plan," Ultron says, but then somehow pulls Tony towards him, and then shoots a laser at him to push him back into the wall behind us. Ultron and Tony fly up to fight each other, while robots come to fight us.

I was about to fight when suddenly I was in a different room, in the arms of Pietro. "Princessa how did you get here?" he asks and sets me down.

"That's none of your concern Speedy. You know you don't have to do this. You can stop now, and you can come with me," I say, but he just stares at me and says nothing. "Whatever Ultron is planning, it isn't good. He is trying to take out my family, and I can't let that happen, and nothing will get into my way." I start to exit the room, when I feel him grab my arm.

He turns me around so now we are inches apart. "I hope you know I don't want to hurt you," Pietro says.

"I don't want to hurt you either, but I will do what I must, so don't get in my way," I say. I let go of his release and get back into where the fight is. I take out my gun, and shoot a couple of robots in the head, shutting them down. Then I see men, coming out with guns, shooting at everyone they see.

I come up from behind a group of 5 of them. "Well hello boys," and I say and they all turn around. I punched one of them in the face, knocking them out cold. I use my legs to kick one to the ground, and throw another of them in the wall. One of the guys shot me, skimming my leg. I wince in pain, but grab my taser and tase the both of them, making them unconscious.

I crawl to the corner, holding my leg in pain. Wanda comes up to me, and her eyes start to glow red. I try to move, but I can't and now I'm transferred into a new reality.

All of the Avengers have me in circles, all in their suits. Behind all of them is a city that has collapsed. Dead bodies were everywhere, and it was silent. "What's going on?" I ask, as they start to get closer.

"You failed us. You couldn't save anyone," Natasha says.

"You are worthless. You can't even finish a mission, so how will you be able to protect the rest of the world?" Steve says. Everyone's faces are blank from emotion, maybe a hint of anger.

"I-I'm sorry," I say.

"You should be. You should have never become an Avenger. The only reason you did is because of Natasha," Tony says.

"If you just did your job right, all of these people would be alive," Thor says.

"It's all your fault," they all say in unison.

"We never needed you, you just made everything worse," Clint says.

"Mom and Dad would be so disappointed," Natasha says. They all run at me, and I fall to the ground, crying because I can't help people, and I thought I could.

"Come on princessa wake up. Wanda she is hyperventilating you need to stop this," a familiar russian accented boy says, trying to shake you awake.

"Come on she will be fine," Wanda says. My eyes flutter open, and I groan. I can feel tears running down my face, and I'm breathing heavily. My eyes open to Pietro, and I can see the worry in his eyes. He mouths 'I'm sorry' before running away with Wanda.

I found Clint, and he helped me to the quintjet. I was laid in the jet, on a bed, while Clint wraps my leg up. "You got lucky kid. It barely skimmed you," Clint says.

"Thank you," I say, before he gets up and checks on everyone else. I look up from where I'm laying, and I can see everyone is not doing so well. Everyone has their head down, and staring off into space. Steve looks up at me, and smiles weakly, then gets up to walk over to me.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

"I'm okay. Something seems to be bothering you. Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, and he doesn't say anything. "You don't have to if you don't want to." I just get up so I'm sitting upright and leaning against the wall. I pat the seat next to me, and Steve sits down.

I lay my head on his shoulder and say, "I'm sorry that we failed this mission. It's my fault." I held back the tears that felt like were going to pour out of my face. I don't cry, and I'm not going to start today.

"None of this is your fault. It's none of our faults, we can't win every battle," Steve says, and puts his head on mine. I slowly drifted to sleep, and waited to arrive at the safe house.