Chapter 12: Lost Her

Pietro's POV

After I put the car in front of Clint and the boy, I was confused how I didn't get hit. I turn around to see y/n, with multiple bullets in her chest. I see she is about to fall, so I run over to her, catching her. I lowered her to the ground, but I still hold her in my arms.

She looks up at me with her beautiful y/c/e eyes and says, "You didn't see that coming." Then she closed her eyes, and I felt a tear stream down my face. I wasn't strong enough to save her. I should have protected her, this should have been me taking those bullets.

Steve runs over, and puts his fingers to her neck. "She has a faint pulse. We need to get her to the lifeboat now," Steve says, and I did not hesitate. In a blink of an eye, we are on a lifeboat. I get someone to check her but she doesn't leave my arms, even with much protest from the doctor.

We were put down on Earth's surface, and I put here on the SHIELD ship to get checked up on. Helen Cho, the doctor that Ultron took control on before, took her to the hospital section of the ship. They took her away from me, but they were going to help her, when I should have.

I sit in the waiting room, trying to clear my head of what just happened in the last 24 hours. "She's going to be okay," my sister, Wanda says.

"Get out of my head," I say, still having my eyes to the floor.

"None of this is your fault. I haven't even known her for a day, but I already know she will make it," Wanda says. She sits in the seat next to me, and pulls me into a hug.

"I wasn't fast enough to help her. If I was fast enough, she wouldn't be in that room with bullets through her chest," I say.

"She is strong," a voice says. I look up to see a teary eyed Natasha. "She always has been. She always just wanted to prove herself that she was able to protect everyone. Today she did, at the cost of her life. She got lucky that it wasn't taken. She'll make it, I have no doubt in my mind." I smile towards her, and she smiles back. "We wouldn't have won today if it wasn't for you two, so thank you, and now, I don't usually show gratitude."

We all chuckled softly, and Helen walked in. "We were able to take out the bullets, but she lost a lot of blood. She is unconscious, but you can see-" I didn't hear the rest, because I ran to her room. I look at the hospital bed to see her limp body. Even not awake, she still looks beautiful. I walked to her side, and pulled up a chair. I grab her hand, and look at her still face.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm sorry I wasn't fast enough to save you. I wish it was me who had taken those bullets and not you," I say, and I feel some tears slipping down my face. I heard footsteps, and I looked towards the door to see Natasha. I knew if this was Wanda, I would want some time alone. "She's all yours," I say and walk out of the room.

Y/n's POV

I feel my eyes flutter open, and I see Nat, with her eyes closed sitting next to me. "Hey, it's Nat. I heard that sometimes you can hear when people talk to you when you're unconscious, so here I am. You know I'm not a very emotional person, but today I was. Thinking that I lost you, killed me. You are all I have left," Nat says. She must have not realized I was awake so I let her continue.

"I had a vision. It was back when we were in the Red Room. It was you and me during my graduation ceremony. You looked at me with such fear in your eye, since you just started training. That told me that I can't be an assassin forever. I need to be better, and I don't know if I can do that without you," Natasha says.

I groan a bit, part of the reason to let her know I'm up and the other reason is because I'm in pain. She lifted up her head and a smile grew on her face. "What did you miss me?" I say, with a light smirk on my face.

"Depends. How much did you hear," she says and we both chuckle. She pulls me into a light hug, her trying not to hurt me. "Don't do that ever again. You scared the life out of me, and everyone else too."

"Yea, sorry. It was my whole plan to get shot multiple times and to scare everyone," I say and we both chuckle. I tried to get up, but Natasha insisted I would be put in a wheelchair. I reluctantly sit in the chair, groaning in pain. I lifted up my shirt to see no bullet holes or anything thanks to Helen. "How am I alive right now?"

"I wouldn't be complaining y/n," Nat says. She rolls me to the main area of the place. There was Steve, Fury, Pietro, but none of them saw me.

"Wow, I thought you guys would be more excited to see me you know, not dead," I say, and they all immediately turn around. I see Pietro and his face lights up. I stood up from the chair, and I became off balance for a second, but before I could even fall, Pietro was at my side holding my waist.

"Great to see you alive Romanoff," Fury says.

"Glad you weren't too worried about me Fury. Don't worry, I'll be up and fighting faster then the Speedster can run," I say.

"Wasn't doubting it," Fury says with a smile.

"Y/n," Steve says.

"Captain," I say.

"Good to have you back," Steve says, and approaches me to hug me.

"Who said I was leaving?" I say and we both chuckle. He releases from the hug, and I turn back to Pietro. He pulls me into another tight hug, his strong arms wrapped around my waist, and mine around his neck.

Before I could even realize, we were in a private room, just the two of us, but we are still in the same embrace. He loosens his grip to face me, but his hands are still securely around me. "Why would you do that? You could have died," Pietro says.

"I didn't though, right. I'm right here," I say, and I look into his bright blue eyes and he smiles. "What?"

"You are just so...amazing. You almost gave up your life for Clint and the boy. I don't understand what I ever did to deserve you in my life," Pietro says.

"Well you did save me, twice in the span of hours. You saved me from falling to my death, and you quickly brought me here. I would be here without you," I say.

"Well, I knew that I needed to protect you. I really like you, princessa," Pietro says.

"I really like you Speedy, and know I usually don't share my feelings, but for some reason it's easy with you," I say.

"I do remember you saying that you owe me. How about I take you to dinner," Pietro says with a smirk.

"It's a date," I say. I pull him into a soft gentle, yet passionate kiss. Our lips moved in sync, until it was interrupted by Tony.

"As much as I love seeing young love, we just arrived at the new Avengers headquarters," Tony says, which makes me chuckle. "Pietro can you help me bring in some box files?"

"What am I just useless now?" I say.

"Well you did just get shot multiple times princessa. You need to rest," Pietro says, and kisses me one last time. "I better notI see you holding one box."

"Hey, it's less work for me I'm not complaining," I say, and him and Tony walk away. Wow, who knew a whole war would lead me to that.