Chapter 9

Zach

Today I would apologize to four people. Four people that I felt like I hurt, still hurting, intentionally or not. I didnt mean to cause these people any pain. I was never a bad person but I was selfish.

First was Justin Foley.

I saw Justin walking through the hallway and I immediately walked up to him.

Okay here we go.

"Hey man." I threw an arm around his shoulder, surprising him.

"Zach," Justin looked at me and gave me a hug, I hugged him back. Tight. "I've missed you."

"Right back at you man," A rush of shame came crawling inside of me. I couldnt believe I wasnt there to welcome him when he got back to school yesterday. "Im sorry I ditched you all yesterday. Im sorry I wasnt there when you came back."

"Its fine man," Justin beamed. He looked healthy, he looked right. "No need to apologize."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, we need to catch up though."

"Im really proud of you man. We all are." I gave him another hug which was weird because before this, Justin and I werent like this. We were friends but not the point that we would hug each other two times in less than five minutes.

One down. Three more to go.

Lunch break, I didnt appear on our lunch table again but instead I went to the football team's lunch table. They saw me approaching. My teamates who were once my pack were glaring at me. They made sure I wasnt welcome and I deserved it.

"Charlie," I spoke. Charlie and the rest of the team were looking at me. "Can we talk?"

"Fuck off Dempsey." One of our teammate spat at me.

"No. Its okay," Charlie stood up and pat his teammates back. "Let's talk somewhere else."

Charlie lead the way and I just followed him. We ended up on the football field. It was empty but I could still hear Charlie's agony from the day I dislocated his arm.

He was wearing an arm sling on his injured arm. My anger and jealousy caused that.

We sat on the the bleachers. It was a little dusty but I didnt mind. Charlie was looking straight at the field.

"Im sorry." I muttered.

"It was an accident," Charlie stated. But it wasnt, I wanted to hurt him because he stole my best friend away from me. "It wasnt your fault."

"It was." It was my fault.

"Dont feel too bad," Charlie chuckled. "The doctor said it would heal in just a few weeks."

That was good news because the football team couldnt afford to lose its best player.

"Im going to quit the team." I caught Charlie's attention.

"Why?" He asked, sounding bothered by my statement.

"Because I hurt you," I admitted. "And I dont want it to happen again."

"You didnt intend to do it." Charlie was looking at the field again. Fake catching a ball using his other hand.

"What if I do?"

"Then I forgive you. You have your reasons Zach."

The silence was comfortable. Something I didnt know I would feel around Charlie St. George.