Chapter 18

Alex

I never really pegged Zach Dempsey to be the romantic type of guy. The moment I opened my locker, a red rose with a piece of paper attached to it, greeted me. I took the rose and smelled it like a school girl from a hollywood romantic comedy movie.

Please dont roll your eyes when you see this. I love you, Alex. I couldnt help but roll my eyes and smile as I read the note written on the piece of paper. It was defenitely Zach Dempsey's penmanship because it looked like a kid wrote it, Zach had the worst penmanship. And Zach was the only person who knew my locker code, besides myself.

I was giddy. Butterflies in my stomach were flapping their wings like there was no tomorrow. Who knew Zach got it in him. I thought he was just going to be the horny, bro, dude, type of boyfriend. But a rose? Really? My face was starting to heat up when I saw Luke Holliday on the other side of the hallway. He was with his football team, Charlie wasnt there. His friends were busy talking to each other but Luke was looking straight at me giving me death glares.

What the fuck is wrong with him? I ignored him and went on with my day. I didnt let the malice from Luke's eyes ruin Zach's surprise for me. The butterflies in my stomach were still alive and well. I decided to send Zach a text message. A rose? Really? Then I typed another one. I love it, Zach.

I was so lucky to have him.

Justin was the first person I saw when I entered the classroom. As I walk closer to him the more I noticed the bags under his eyes, it was swollen like he had been crying all night.

"Hey," I sat on my seat beside Justin. The closer I get to him the more miserable he started looking. "Are you okay?"

"If Im going to be honest?" Justin looked at me, his eyes were still red. "No."

"What happened?" I asked. I didnt want to pry but I cared about Justin. I wanted to know why he looked like that when the day havent even started yet.

"Had a fight with Clay last night," Justin sighed. His voice was shaking. "We arent exactly talking right now."

I gave Justin a pat on the back and something that maybe he could hold on to until all of his feelings subsides. "But remember that Clay is your brother, I know, its weird. But he cares about you more than anyone else. I see it in his eyes, I saw it in him when you were at rehab. Whatever it is? Im sure its nothing unfixable."

"I hope so." Justin replied with a slight glimmer of hope in his voice.

"I know we arent the best of friends," I looked Justin Foley directly into his eyes. "I know we fought several times in the past because of Jessica but know that you are my friend and I care about you."

"Thank you, Standall." Justin forced a smile.

"Im just a call away," I paused and then changed my mind. "Actually im just a text away, since I hate phone calls."

I was looking forward to lunch break because I wanted to see Zach. Eventhough we couldnt exactly hold hands in front of our friends and the whole school, I was still looking forward to just being around him.

Lunch break was not what I was expecting. I was expecting Zach to be all smiley and giddy when he see me after that rose stunt he pulled this morning, but he wasnt. He looked nervous, I tried touching his feet with mine but I felt him flinch. This Zach was not the same Zach that sneaked a rose with a sweet note inside my locker. Something wasnt right.

"Where's Clay and Justin?" Tyler asked. I looked around and he was right, Justin and Clay werent present on our lunch table.

Tyler looked at Ani, he was expecting an answer from her.

"What?" Ani gave Tyler a confused look.

"Arent you the girlfriend?" Tyler stated the obvious.

"We already broke up," Ani announced and everyone was shocked except for Jessica. "Few weeks ago I reckon."

I didnt know that, I just assumed they were still dating but thinking about it now I couldnt remember Clay and Ani being touchy with each other these past days.

"I saw Clay on the way here," Tony chimed in. "I think he was with Justin."

I thought Justin said that Clay and him werent talking right now? Maybe they were trying to fix whatever it was that they had fought about last night.

"Boys are weird," Jessica exclaimed looking at the whole table. Tony coughed. "Straight boys I mean." Tyler looked offended. I didnt mind what she said, it was true anyway.

I looked at Zach. He wasnt paying attention to any of us. He was lost in his thoughts. I didnt want any of my friends to suspect anything so I texted him. If he couldnt talk to me in public then we would talk privately, through our phones.

Are you okay? I texted Zach. I heard the notification sound from his phone, he checked his phone and started typing.

Can we talk after class? Zach replied. His response made my heart pound a little harder.

I sent him a thumbs up followed by a heart emoji. He sent a heart back, with an I love you sticker, making me feel a little better.

At least, I knew Zach still loved me.

-

Short chapter. I know. Only because I will post two chapters today, one from Alex's POV which is this one and one from Zach's POV which is the next chapter.

- G