Chapter 35

Alex

I was busy chewing popcorn and watching the movie that was playing. It was called Spy starring Melissa McCarthy and Jude Law. I found myself chuckling at some scenes when I felt Winston poke my shoulder. He didnt want to get my attention, he wanted to show me something or should I say, someone.

"Zach, you came." Clay cheered. I glanced at the door and there he was, breathing heavily. He looked tired, I wanted to stand up and wrap my arms around his lean body.

But Zach wasnt looking at Clay. His eyes were on me, he was exuding a heaviness no one in the room but me could see. Like Atlas, he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"Zach," I spoke. I couldnt look into his eyes, I felt like he caught me doing something bad, eventhough I wasnt doing anything wrong. "I thought you couldnt go."

"Yeah," He exhaled loudly, everyone was quiet. They were silently watching, listening. They knew about my relationship with Zach."I thought I couldnt too."

"Come sit, Zach." Tony offered, he was sitting beside Caleb, who stood up to offer a seat to Zach.

"Why did you bring him?" He was looking steadily at me, he was almost glaring. I looked down, I couldnt look him in the eyes. Not when he had every right to be angry at me.

"Zach." Jessica's voice was soft, she was afraid that one wrong word would lit up the fire and we would all be in flames.

"Why did you fucking bring him, Alex?"  I flinched from his words, this was the first time I heard Zach's tone, there was an ache in his voice that made regret all of my decision this day. He rarely use it, it was a proof that maybe I crossed the line by bringing Winston here.

"Zach, we're not doing anything wrong." I tried defending myself but my voice faltered. "You told me you couldnt come and I just wanted to hang out with a friend."

"A friend who kissed you twice?" He hissed at me, I could hear the disdain in his voice.

The only reason I brought Winston here was because I felt like I found a friend in him. He already promised he would never do anything to ruin my relationship with Zach. I brought him here because I didnt like that Zach ditched our plan, he couldve told me a day before that he wouldnt be able to go but he didnt. It might sound petty but Zach chose his family over me, again.

Zach would never pick you over his family, Alex. Stop being delusional. I thought to myself. But I would never make Zach choose over me and his family, it was just wishful thinking. I deserved to be prioritized too, I had been the most understanding of his situation.

"Im sorry about that, I already promised Alex I wouldnt do it again." Winston spoke. But Zach eye's were fixated on me, he ignored Winston just like how he ignored everyone in this room.

"This is a bad idea," Zach sounded defeated, like he lost the battle he was fighting in. His armor was now shattered, he had a white flag on his hand, waving it as fast as he could. "I shouldnt have come here."

"Hey buddy," Justin stood up, he tried reaching for Zach but he took a step back. "You have to calm down."

"I just brought a friend, Zach." I was confused. I didnt do anything wrong, yet I felt like I was the bad person. "I dont see anything wrong with it. You ditched me for your family plan right?"

"Im going home." With those three words, he bolted out of the room. I could hear his footsteps slowly fading away. Was I too harsh? Did Zach deserved those words?

"Is someone going to follow him?" Ani raised the question. Everyone was not expecting Zach to come, they werent expecting this type of ending on our fun and amazing day.