Chapter 19

Zach

I woke up with a flickering lightbulb of an idea on the top of my head. I wanted to surprise Alex today. Something Alex wouldnt expect from me. I woke up earlier than usual, I texted May to dress up for school a little early since I needed to be at school first before Alex.

The ride on the way to school was annoying. Mom called us and asked why we skipped breakfast, I had to lie and explain to her that my presence was needed for the football team. Another lie on top of another lie, she didnt know I quit the football team. May kept asking me why I asked her to dress up early. I just ignored her. May defenitely got my mom's irritating personality.

I stopped the car when I saw that the floweshop near the school was already opened.

"Zach, what are you up to?" May asked again, which I ignored. I stepped out of the car making sure my wallet was inside my pocket.

I walked inside the flowershop. The owner greeted me with a very warm smile.

"What can I get you?" The owner asked, he was an old man with white hair and white beard like Santa Claus.

"Can I get a rose? A red one?" Alex would love a black rose but red was more romantic. I wanted to give him a symbol of my love for him.

The owner came back with a freshly cut red rose. There was a piece of paper attached to it. I should certainly write something on it. I handed him a dollar, the owner decided for a small talk before I go.

"That girl is a one lucky girl," The owner smiled at me. "Or a lucky boy. I should stop assuming kids sexuality nowadays."

"I think I'm the lucky one." I admitted. Ignoring his remarks.

"Im sure the both of you are lucky to have each other." He was spraying water on the flower displays.

Was Alex lucky to have me? I hope so.

When I came back to the car May started bombering me with her unsolicited opinion.

"A rose? Really?" May chuckled. "I seriously dont think Alex would like that."

"Did I ask for your opinion?" I glared at her. She was right, Alex wasnt the biggest fan of flowers, but I wanted to surprise him. Show him the romantic side of Zach Dempsey. "How are you so sure, are you the boyfriend?"

"Im just saying." May threw her hands up, waving the white flag.

The school hallway was almost empty. I looked at my watch, I was 20 minutes earlier than usual. That meant, in 20 minutes, students would start coming in one by one. I quickly went to Alex's locker. He told me his locker code last year, it was his birthday, 0315.

I opened his locker and found a black inked pen inside it. I wrote. Please dont roll your eyes when you see this. I love you, Alex. I laughed at myself knowing damn well Alex would roll his eyes when he read this.

I looked around there were now a few kids loitering on the school hallways. I closed Alex's locker and silently prayed to Cupid. Alex better appreciate this or else I would stop giving him cuddles.

Students started popping in and the next thing I knew the hallways were now crowded. I thought of waiting for Alex but I'd rather wait for his reaction later. Plus, we decided to keep our relationship lowkey when were on public.

I was one of the first students in our classroom. I dropped my bag and sat on my seat. I heard the notification sound of my phone, I took it from my pocket. It was a text from Alex Standall.

Really? A rose? I felt a punch in my chest. Alex didnt like it.

Then followed by another text. I love it, Zach. A grin was forming on my face. Alex didnt like it because he loved it. I didnt notice that Clay was already beside me. He was wearing a frown on his face, his shoulder were slumped down as the weight of the world were on it.