Chapter 41

Zach

I just came to work, I was late so I made sure I apologized to Beth, the owner of Rosie's Diner. She just shrugged it off and told me to put on the apron and start working. There were an ample amount of people walking in and out of the diner, so I didnt have any free time to just goof around texting Alex.

There were some familiar faces that came in, I saw some people from my batch, some of them from lower grades. They looked shocked and surprised to see me working here but they didnt say anything, they just nodded at me and nodding back was the only appropriate response.

I was busy, punching orders and giving changes to customers, so I didnt get to check my phone for any important messages. I was sure Alex would understand, I was now living in his house. He told me he would pick me up after my shift, how the tables have turned, never in a million years I would have thought of it happening. It was always me picking Alex up, always giving him a ride, not the other way around.

There was a gay couple that came in, I was busy watching them, envying them. They looked proud and comfortable being themselves, they looked happy. I wanted that same relationship with Alex, I should definitely take him here on one of my day off, treat him on our first day without worrying if other people would see us. I was envisioning Alex and I on the same booth the gay couple were, holding each other hands in front of my co-workers and other customers.

We were understaffed at the moment because one of the waiter got sick, so if I was not needed on the cashier, I would also help serving food. I went inside the cooking area and took the order of an old woman eating alone, I served it and she asked for an extra napkin. I was about to get some on the utensils area when I saw a familiar woman walking inside the store. It was not just some random woman, it was a woman I knew since I was a kid, a woman who fed me and gave me a roof on my head. It was my mother, she was looking around, probably looking for me.

My first instinct was to hide, I was not expecting to hear from her, so seeing her took me by surprise. Talk to her. She was still my mother, were binded by blood. There was a glimpse of hope in the back of my mind. Did she change her mind? Does she want her son back? Was she more accepting now? The things I would never get an answer to if I choose to chicken out and not face her.

I was thinking of what decision to make, but it was already too late because she already saw me. I heard her voice call my name, when I looked up to her, I saw the longing in her eyes. She looked like an important part of her was taken away from her.

We were now sitting on an empty booth. Beth walked to us, she asked what I was doing and my mom answered for me, she told Beth that I was her son and that she needed to talk to me. Beth didnt care, she said it was my time to work and that I was getting paid, my mom handed her a handful of cash she took from her wallet. That seemed to shut Beth off.

"Thirty minutes, I'll take over the cashier for now." Beth walked off, shaking her head. I muttered an apology, which I wasnt sure if she heard.

"Zach," My mom held my hand. She looked like she was about to cry, the bags under her eyes were visible. "We miss you, me and your sister. The house doesnt feel complete without you in it."

"You kicked me out." It wasnt my choice to leave the house, she forced me to. She made me choose between her and being free and true to what I was feeling.

"And now I want you back," My mom touched my cheek, she rubbed it lovingly. "You look so thin, have you been eating?"

"I have," I looked at her. Was this true? Does she really want me back? "How did you know where I was working?"

"I asked May," She fixed my hair like a proud mom she was, I missed her too, I missed having a parental figure guiding my steps too. "Zach, you can go home now."