Chapter 24

Zach

He looked me dead in the eyes and muttered. "Fuck you." Alex ran to the school's exit door.

I just watched my whole world walk away frome me. Im sorry, Alex.

The earth stopped spinning. The hourglass broke and everything and everyone stopped. My heart was not beating. I touched my chest and my heart wasnt there. I was a heartless asshole. How could I hurt Alex. How could I let him down. I tried so hard protecting him, guarding our relationship and I ended up breaking it.

I didnt know what to do. I looked at my knuckles, there were still blood on it. Alex's blood. They were shaking, I wanted to run and chase after Alex but my feet were stucked on the ground, my legs were suddenly frozen.

The horror on Alex's face was filling up my mind, I couldnt stop seeing him. His bloodied and busted lips, his shocked eyes, how he looked betrayed, how he tried so hard too stop his tears from falling down. I know Alex Standall, he would never cry in front of other people, not in front of the whole school. Not in front of Luke. Not in front of the monster that hurt him. I was the monster. I became my own fear.

"We already got coach, what happened?" I could hear Clay asking my friends behind me. "Where's Alex?"

Then followed by the voice of our football coach. "What happened here?"

"Nothing." It was Luke who answered.

Charlie St. George came with the football coach. He glanced at me, at my bloodied knuckles. Then at Luke. He noticed that Alex was missing and put two and two together, he lunged at Luke and grabbed the front of his shirt.

"What the fuck did you do?" Charlie growled at Luke.

"I didnt do anything," Luke hissed. "Ask Demspey. He's the one that punched Alex."

I punched Alex. I hurt him. I felt sick, I wanted to cry but no, I didnt deserve to cry not after what I did. I was an awful person, I let Luke tower over me. I gave Luke the power to control me. Alex trusted me not to hurt him in any way. But I broke his trust.

"Zach," It was Jessica Davis' voice. She snapped me out of my own thoughts, I was already drowning. "Go follow him."

"I dont-" She didnt let me continue.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" She raised her voice at me. "I dont know if what Luke said was true but if it was, you have to fucking follow Alex. If its not, then you still have to follow him because Alex is your best friend."

Jessica was right. What was I doing here? I shouldve went after Alex the moment he ran. Alex, please wait for me.

Fuck Luke Holliday. Fuck the whole school. Fuck my mom, I would rather have her disown me and be homeless than lose Alex Standall. I couldnt lose him, not when I faught so hard to have him on the palm of my hands.

So I ran. I ran after Alex. Please, wait for me.

"Dempsey, where are you going?" Our football coach shouted at me but I ignored him. I didnt really give a shit about anyone right now except for Alex.

I pushed the school's entrance door and there he was. He was standing on the other side of the road. His hair was a mess but he still looked beautiful. He was looking down, he was sniffing, crying. The blood on his lips was no longer there, but the cut was still raw and fresh. There was a blood stain on the sleeve of his shirt.

My throat closed up. I wanted to call for his name but I couldnt. Alex looked so broken and I caused that. I was the reason behind his tears and bloodied sleeves.