Chapter 34

Zach

I was sitting on Chloe's couch when I received an unexpected call, bless May for giving me my charger back. The caller was the owner of Rosie's Diner. Since I needed to financially support myself, I messaged alot of shops and stores near our school if they needed an extra part time employee. Monet's told me they were overstaffed at the moment.

The owner of Rosie's Diner told me one of their employee got fired for going to work drunk and that they needed an extra pair of hand as soon as possible. The owner, which was an old woman, said that if I wanted the job I should start today since it was Valentines day and Rosie's Diner reservation was jam packed.

I told her I would gladly accept the job, without thinking twice. I needed the money, I no longer wanted to bother and take advantage of Chloe. I wanted to rent a small space, as long as I could pay for it and pay for my food aswell.

Alex and I had plans with our friends today. Jessica planned a group date at Clay's house, in which we all agreed to go to. Movie night with my friends and especially Alex was what I wanted right now, something to take my mind off of what was happening in my life. I wanted to forget about my mom kicking me out of the house, I needed to free my mind from her words. From her acceptance that she failed to give me.

But I needed this job. You need money to survive in life, that was the reality. My situation made me choose what I needed over what I wanted. I wanted to be with Alex but I needed this job.

I called Alex's number and he immediately answered. Would he understand? He had to.

"Zach," Alex answered. He sounded happy. "Good thing you called, can you pick me up later before going to Clay's?"

"About that," I scratched the back of my head, hoping Alex would understand. "Is it okay if I dont go later?"

"Why?" Alex asked. I could hear a faint tint of disappointment in his voice. "Is there something wrong?"

"No, Im good. Just had an unexpected plan with my family." I lied, I was biting the insides of my cheek.

I should stop lying to Alex, I could only allow this to go on for a few more days. I needed to tell him the truth. I had to tell him that my mom kicked me out because of my sexuality and my relationship with him, that I was couch surfing in Chloe's house for days now.

"Okay." He didnt say anything else. He was looking forward to this day, where we could finally be ourselves around our friends. I was too.

"I'm sorry," I apologized sincerely. "I promise I'll make it up to you."

"You don't have to," Alex sighed. He was silent for a few seconds. "Its fine, I was just looking forward to it."

"Me too," If only I could magically earn money without having to work. "I'm really sorry."

"Its fine, Zach." He assured me, he changed his tone to a more cheerful one. "I'm fine. Have fun with your family."

"Oh... Ofcourse." I stuttered, I almost slipped up. I almost forgot that I lied to him and told him I had a family plan instead of telling him the job I got accepted in.

The call ended and the feeling of guilt  was crawling up in my throat. I should stop lying to Alex. He deserved to know the truth. He was one hundred and one percent honest with me, he told me what happened with him and Winston and I appreciated that.

Why couldnt I tell Alex? It was shame. That I was now basically homeless. That  I no longer had a car. It was a combination of everything and nothing. I was afraid Alex would start looking at me differently.