Chapter 11

Charlie

I dreamt of Alex Standall winning prom king. When they announced who was the prom queen, they all looked at me. Everyone cheered. My friends clapped my back. It wasnt a prom queen, it was another king and it was me. We danced in the middle of the gym, the spotlight was on us. Alex was wearing a crown and I was wearing a tiara too small for my head. We were no longer a secret. Alex looked in to my eyes and he told me he loved me. I answered him with a kiss. The crowd roared in happines.

And then I woke up. Nice.

Dont get me wrong. I love partying but waking up after a night full of alcohol made me regret going to that party. I could feel my throat begging for water, followed by a painful headache.

Why did I even drink last night. I groaned, every part of my body was aching everytime I move on the bed. Thats what you get for dancing nonstop last night. I thought to myself.

My phone started ringing. The light on my screen almost blinded my eyes. Saturday, 6:20 AM. Alex Standall is calling. Yeah, I write people's first and last name on my contacts. It doesnt matter if you are my boyfriend or not.

I answered it and placed the phone on my ear. "Alex?" My throat was dry. I definitely need some water after this call.

"Charlie."

"Hey baby,"  I coughed. "Are you okay?"

"Can we talk?" He sounded different, not the usual sarcastic and pretty chill Alex. This one was more cold.

Can we talk. Hearing those words come out of Alex's mouth almost made me vomit. It made me nervous, feeling like a kid who did something wrong and now my father finally found out.

"Yeah," I stood up. Grabbed an empty water bottle on my bed side table. "Do you want to meet somewhere else?"

"Im in front of your house right now." Alex said casually.

"Oh." I looked outside my window and there he was. Standing in front of our main door, with a phone on his ear. It might sound romantic but not on this case.

I quickly brushed my teeth before going downstairs to fetch Alex, not risking Alex to smell my morning breath. I opened the door and Alex looked terrible. He was wearing the same clothes he was wearing last night from the party, he had bags under his eyes and he looked like he had been crying for hours.

I greeted Alex with a peck on his lips and an embrace. He was silent, I lead him to my room. I opened my closet and took a shirt and a comfortable shorts for Alex to change to. He stripped and change in front of me like a zombie, lifeless.

"What happened to you?" I asked.

Silence. I touched his cheeks and he moved away.

"Dont tell me you killed someone." I teased, trying my best to lighten up the mood but it didnt work.

"Hey," I reached for his hand. "Talk to me."

"I need to tell you something." I could barely hear Alex's voice.

"Are you breaking up with me?" I joked but he didnt respond. Time froze, my heart stopped and all I could hear was Alex's silence. His silence meant yes.

"Alex," I sighed. My eyes were burning, I wasnt expecting for this day to come sooner. "Talk to me."

"Its Zach," Alex confessed. "I think I still have feelings for him."

"What do you mean?"

"I thought," Alex exhaled. "I thought dating you would help me forget."

"So you used me." It wasnt a question.

"I loved you Charlie."

"And I love you."

I knew dating Alex Standall was too good to be true. I knew someday he would wake up and realize that I no longer deserve him.

I used to always think people crying in movies, because some boy dumped them, was stupid. Now, I was the protagonist of those movies and it was stupid and real and I didnt want to cry in front of Alex but I could no longer hold the tears back.

Alex told me everything. When he kissed Zach on the rooftop and  Zach friendzoned him, Zach's mixed signals and last night at the party. Hearing him talk about last night hurt the most. He told me Zach kissed him and Alex kissed him back.

I told Zach that I forgive him for accidentally hurting me on the field because he had his reasons. Now I know that Alex was his reason.

"Forgive me, Charlie." I looked at him. He was crying, I wanted to hug him and wipe the tears on his face.

I would always have a soft spot for Alex Standall, it doesnt matter if he broke my heart or not.

"Im so stupid." My sight was blurry from my tears.

"Im sorry, Charlie."

"I'm so freaking stupid," I admitted, gently laughing at myself. "Because after hearing you confess about everything I still want to kiss you and be with you."

"Charlie." Alex reached for my hand, I just let him hold it for one last time.

"I dont want to lose you Alex," Alex was the first person that I truly loved. "I want to fight for you, for us."

"Charlie." My name coming out of his mouth sounded beautiful. Ive always thought my name was bland when I was a kid.

"But I dont want to be selfish. You deserve to be happy. I deserve to be happy too," I was playing with his fingers, they were boney and soft. "But not like this."

"Im sorry." You dont have to be, Alex.

We lied on the my bed for one last time. We didnt do anything. We were just there, on the bed, holding each other. Alex eventually fell asleep on my arm. Even on his sleep, he looked stress and hurting. I carefully touched his face, memorizing how it feels on my bare hands. I will always love you Alex Standall. This was our swan song, our last hurrah. I placed a kiss on his cheek. Goodbye, Alex.

-

Chalex. Noooo. I didnt want to write this chapter to be honest but the story needs to move forward. Im sad because I love Chalex too.

Since I already have a book full of Zalex and Jalex one shot, Im thinking of making a book full of Chalex one shots. Are you guys in?

- G