3. Nice to Meet Ya

MAY 2015: 

"Come on Alaina! Do it or I will" Courtney says as we both stare at my laptop looking at a flight to Ireland. 

"Okay! Okay! Give me a second!" I say. My heart is racing. This is the moment that could change my whole life. I stare at the ticket 

MIAMI INTERNATIONAL (MIA) to DUBLIN AIRPORT (DUB)

Depart: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:50pm 

Arrival: Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:15pm

As I move my mouse to the "Complete Purchase" button I feel my stomach start turning, the butterflies were going. Courtney begins to squeal 

-PURCHASE COMPLETE- 

"Wohhooo!! I'm so excited to for you! You're going to meet your mom Al!" She says to me. 

I'm still in shock that I am officially going to Ireland, I'm going to meet my birth parents. I will get to know where I come from. My family, my sibling? Do I have siblings? "I can't believe I did this Court. Oh, I need to pack! I leave in 2 days. What am I going to wear, I need to look nice when I first meet them!" I start to ramble on. 

"Alaina, it's okay! We have time. We will get everything ready for you! It will be perfect" Courtney tells me rubbing my back in hopes of calming me down. 

I am so glad I have Courtney to support me in this, she is basically my sister. I think shes just as excited as I am, but not half the nerves. I want everything to be perfect. I want them to like me. What am I going to say, how am I going to act?!

"Al, I see you overthinking  right now... stop! It will all work out." Courtney interrupts me from my thoughts. 

It will all work out. It will all work out. I repeat to myself. 

***

"Flight 3140 service to Dublin is now boarding at gate D31. Flight 3140 service to Dublin is now boarding at gate D31." The voice draws my attention from my phone as I stand and grabbing my carry-on suitcase and purse.  I roll my bag over to the line with my ticket and passport in hand. 

"Enjoy the flight" the gate attendant says to me after scanning my ticket. 

I make my way down the tunnel towards the airplane, is it too late to turn around I ask. As I walk onto the airplane I feel the cold air on my skin and the soft buzz from the engine. I make my way to my seat 9A. I place my suitcase in the overhead bin and slide over to the window seat. Adjusting my glasses take out my phone and text my mom and Courtney letting them know I am on the plane. I sip my Starbucks coffee I had gotten earlier while waiting to board. I stare out the window and see different employees running around trying to get the plane prepped. The sun is slowly setting in the distance and the warm orange lighting seeps in through the small window.