Chapter 15 - Madeline

Day 2 work at Hall Industries. I'm wearing an aquamarine dress with a soft grey blazer, and my favorite black stilettos. The shade of my dress is almost the same with my eyes and it brings my eyes color pop beautifully.

I want to appear professional and confident. Especially after Ethan told me, he will keep me as his executive assistant, so I need to stand on my own feet. I can't let Thomas and his drama bring me down. Damn you Thomas! I hate you like Harry Potter hates Voldemort!

I come early today. I still drive Drew's Maserati, and I really need to buy my own car. I was planning to look at it yesterday, but yesterday's event consumed me too much. So I went straight to Meredith's apartment to end my day. Drew's car, Meredith's apartment. I sigh inwardly. So much for standing on my own feet.

I walk through the lobby. Some of my coworkers still check on me curiously and obviously. I tune them all out as best as I can. I go straight to my floor, put everything in my station. Sarah is here already, her bag is on her table, but she is nowhere to be seen.

I go to the coffeemaker in the room's corner. There is a lot of stuff with the never ending supply of coffee, tea and milk, sugar, protein bar, granola bar, fruits and yogurt. You named it. Hall Industries believe in caffeine and healthy snacks for their employees.

I make myself a cup of warm chamomile tea. I had my coffee earlier this morning. Plus, tea helps me to calm my nerves. I can tune the attention they overtly gave me, but I can't help the jittery feeling in my heart. Maybe if I were Meredith, I could walk as if nothing happened. Helen introduced me to chamomile tea, and I fell in love with this tea ever since.

When I come back to my table, Sarah is already there. I come to her. Last night I made a decision. I don't have to explain to anyone, but at least I need to explain myself to people I work closely with. I already had the talk with Ethan, even though we ended up in a breathless kiss. God, that man knows how to kiss the hell out of me. Stop Madeline! Work time. Professional.

"Morning Sarah," I greet her.

"Morning Madeline! Gosh, 8 months pregnant, I need to pee every 15 mins!" She sits on her chair heavily. "And don't forget to mention the swollen ankles. These are my mom's shoes. For god's sake. Say bye-bye to my lovely stilettos." She looks at my stilettos longingly.

I respond her with a smile, but I can't help my nervousness. Why did she talk about her pregnancy instead of yesterday's event? Yesterday we were so busy and there was no time for us to talk. But now...

"Um, Sarah, about yesterday..."

"Yes? Is there anything you don't understand? Which part?" She asks me nicely.

"No no. Not the work. There is no problem with the work—" Before I continue, she beams at me. "I knew it! You are perfect!" She still misunderstood my concern.

"Thank you. But, Sarah, I'm not talking about work, I'm talking about yesterday's... um... incident," I say warily.

Seh frowns for a while and sighs. "Yeah, it sucks to be you. Now everyone knows Ethan took your virginity." And I'm sure my face is redder than her lipstick right now.

"No! I... I mean yes, but that's not my point. My point is, do you have anything to say about me? I mean, I worked hard to earn this promotion. Tim can prove it. He really loved my work. I don't want you to doubt my working skill and attitude. I realize the accident made me looks like I trapped Ethan, but I swear to you, I didn't even recognize him.." I trail off because she chuckles.

I frown, and as if she knows what's on my mind, she squeezes my hand. "Relax Madeline. I'm the one who chose you. Ethan didn't know that you would work for him until yesterday. All I said to him was I got my replacement and I'm sure she is great. And Ethan, as always the paranoid, suspicious boss, he said I was just too optimistic. Because the last intern I chose to help me in my first trimester pregnancy got kicked out by Ethan in the first five minutes she entered the room," Sarah laughs.