Chapter 54 - Ethan

Something's wrong with Madeline. We are in the car and she snuggles herself to me. Her body's tremor and cold, her skin clammy with the cold sweat. She closed her eyes once Jack closed the door. She pretends to sleep right now.

I rewind tonight's charity. Everything went well, a lot of guests praised tonight's event, even some of them who I know very well aren't the easiest people to be praised. She was always by my side. Even when she talked with people, she was always in my peripheral vision.

Like when she talked with Byron Connolly. He is in his 60s, went through the weddings with women half his age over 6 times. I'm not jealous of him talking to Madeline. I'm sure Madeline wouldn't want him. But the way he looked at her like she was his latest prey. I doubt my girl realized it. That's why I came to give him a hint.

But other than that, I don't think there is another problem. Grandma's opening speech was crystal clear that she approved Madeline. No one dares to say no when Helen Hall says yes. The only time she was out of my sight was when she was in the toilet. She mentioned there was an insignificant problem.

I study my girlfriend, her breathing still erratic, her frown visible. I can feel a knot in my chest. Fuck, I hate it when she is vulnerable and sad like this. What happened, Madeline? Tell me and I'll make it right for you...

***

Madeline agreed when I told her we would go to my house. That made me worry about her more. Because she's the one who made the rules that the sleepover only happened on Friday and Saturday night. Sunday she will go back to her place. Today is Sunday, and she never broke her own rules... well, until now.

Jack opens the limousine's door. Madeline comes out, says her thank you in a tiny voice and without waiting for me, she walks alone to the main doors, heels on her hand. Paulo is already there, opening the house's doors for us. I stare at her back. "Something happened to her during the charity. I want you to check it, Jack," and he nods. I walk to catch up with Madeline. I'm afraid she would trip climbing up the stairs to my room... our room.

Once we arrive in our room, I come to her and hold her from behind. "Something is bothering you, Sweetness?" I ask softly. She turns to me. Looks me deeply in the eyes. I don't know what is on her mind. What are you searching for, Sweetness?

"Have you ever loved someone like you love me?" She asks with a small voice. I can hear there is an uncertainty in her voice.

"No," I say truthfully, looking deep into her eyes, willing her to see my sincerity.

"Close to your love for me?" She asks in the same small voice.

"No. Never, Sweetness. Why?"

She smiles a bit and kisses me softly on the lips. It's so soft and fast. I don't have any chance to react because she already walks to the bathroom and locks the door. She never locked the bathroom door before. I rake my hair. What happened to her?

***

Madeline already closed her eyes in the bed when I came out from the shower. I climb next to her and hold her. "Sweetness, what happened?" I ask her softly. I know she's still awake.

She opens her eyes and studies me. That same vulnerable look again. "Make love to me, Ethan." She climbs onto me, her naked body in front of me. My cock suddenly hard, and the way it nestles under her warm pussy doesn't help me think clearly. She kisses me roughly. I kiss her back.

And somehow my brain flashback to her body sagged to me in the car earlier. I pull back a bit. "Sweetness, no. What happened? I know something is bothering you. What is it?"

She keeps kissing me. "Make love to me Ethan, show me you love me more than anything more than anyone." Her hands touch my body.

"But sweetness..." I can't help myself. I'm waiting for this all night long. She looks so dazzling in the charity. Like an angel. I want her so much. But I cannot shake the feeling that sex won't help to solve this problem.