Chapter 70 - Ethan & Madeline

Ethan

Paulo brought the duffle with some clothes for me and Madeline.

I go to the toilet to change my shirt; it has a pole of blood on the sleeves. Once I'm done, I stare at myself in the mirror. I'm going to be a father. Madeline and I... we will build a beautiful family together.

"You good?" Christian asks me when I come out of the toilet. Everyone is waiting for me.

I nod. "How can I not, C? Madeline gives me the perfect birthday presents."

All of my friends' eyes on me, like I'm a puzzle they are trying to solve. I look at them and smile. "You guys haven't said happy birthday to me."

A zinc of silence and an abrupt relief chuckle from everyone.

Christian hugs me. "Happy birthday, bro! Happy birthday. Be happy, okay," he says with a voice full of emotion. He is one of the few people who knows about my past and how I dealt with it.

And the other follows him to hug and say happy birthday to me.

***

Our friends said they want to meet Madeline for a while, because they don't want Madeline to complain later if she didn't see them here.

We go to the room. Madeline is still attached to the IV. There is a dark circle under her eyes. She must be waiting for my call all this time. I'm sorry, Sweetness...

I come to her and sit next to her, holding her hand. "Sweetness," I whisper. She opens her eyes and her unfocused eyes look at me. Her eyes go wide once it focused. "Oh my God, Ethan!" she bolts sit down and touches my face and arm. "Are you okay? Is it hurt?" She looks panicked, checking my wounded arm. I can't help but chuckle.

"For God's sake, Mads, you are the one lying on the hospital's bed," Drew says.

"But..." her eyes look at our friend. She blinks and then gasps. "When are you guys coming?"

"Jesus, Madeline! You haven't changed at all. In your eyes, there is only one person, huh?" says Christian in good humour.

"I..." she blushes and I kiss her head. "They are all here because Jack informed them about you. They are all worried about you."

"I'm fine, Ethan." She leans to me, resting her head on my chest. God, I missed her scent and warm body.

Meredith clears her throat. "Well, since you are fine, I think all of us can go now. Christian and I should go to the airport. We're pending our flight because of you."

"The concert in Times Square?"

Meredith nods. "Watch me, okay?" she winks.

"Sure! When is your turn?" Madeline asks excitedly.

Meredith comes to her and kisses her cheek. "The countdown." She chuckles and goes back to my cousin, taking his hand. "Bye guys. See you next year."

"Bye guys. Take care Mads," Christian says and they both go.

"Oh my God! She is going to have the countdown kiss with Christian in front of everyone in Times Square!" Madeline squeals. Well, Christian never does something like this in front of the live camera. Looks like I need to have another talk with my cousin.

***

After Tony and Drew leave, Madeline forces me to sleep with her on the hospital bed.

I kiss her head. "I'm sorry, Sweetness. I should have listened to you."

She shakes her head. "It's my fault, Ethan. I should have asked you about the trip before I decided it."

I touch her lips to stop her. "It's not a competition, Sweetness. I don't want to argue with you about who is right, who is wrong. I promise to you next time I will listen to your explanation."