Chapter 68 - Ethan

"Sweetness!" I open the door to the pantry and face to face with Helen.

"Sweet Jesus! Ethan! Are you planning to make me get a heart attack?" She literally jump.

"Grandma, I'm sorry. Where is Madeline?"

"Madeline? She is in LA, of course."

"LA? No, she came here to visit dad." I gesture in the cemetery direction.

"She came here this morning to visit your parents. And she went back to LA. The last time I checked on her, she was in the house, preparing the dinner for you."

I feel my heart beat so fast; she is there. In the house waiting for me. God! I need to see her now. I kiss my grandma's cheek. "Thanks Grandma! See you on New Year." I run to the door.

"Jesus, Ethan!" She follows me. "Drive safe, okay!" She says, throttling behind me.

I'm already at the front door. I stop and look back and her. "Grandma..." I inhale. I need to do this. Madeline is right. I want to make dad proud of me. I will make him proud of me. I will let go all the past. If Madeline is right, that means mom and dad held the photo until I came. Because there is no way in this windy weather the letter and bouquet can sit still waiting for me to come.

That means... Dad wants me to let go.

I smile at Helen. "Grandma, you haven't said happy birthday to me." My voice sounds shaky, but I can hear a relief in it.

My grandma's eyes widen. "Oh, god!" She runs (yes, she still can run, guys) to me and hugs me tightly. "Happy birthday, Ethan! I wish you all the best. Be happy, Ethan... be happy." Her voice shaky. She hugs me so tight, and I realize Grandma is crying. And I can't help the tears leaking down from my eyes, too. I hug her tightly. "I love you, Grandma."

She pulls back and we smile so widely despite our tears. "I love you Ethan. Now, go! Get your woman." I nod and wipe her tears and go. I wipe my own tears and look in the cemetery's direction.

Mom, Dad, thank you...

***

Despite my intentions to drive as fast as I can to the love of my life. I was stuck in the road. Damn LA traffic! And damn, that drunk guy who broke my phone!

I arrive at home and run to our room in record time. "Sweetness!" I call her, but she's nowhere to be seen. "Sweetness, baby." I go to the dining room, pantry. Where is she?

"Consuela!" I call her. "Consuela!"

She runs to me, with Paulo on her tail. "Jesus, Ethan.. where is the fire?"

"Where is Madeline?" I ask instead.

"At her home," Consuela tells me nonchalantly.

I frown. "This is her home. Where is she?"

"No Ethan. By home, I mean her own apartment."

My heart falls to my feet. "Why?" I complain, "This is her house. She should've stayed here."

Consuela narrows her eyes at me. "You were incommunicado, Ethan!"

Fuck!!!

"My phone is broken. When... when she left here?"

"At 10." Paulo answers. "She is driving her own car."

I check my watch. It's 10.10. Damn it!

"I'm going to her apartment." I walk to the hall

"Ethan, she made the birthday noodle for you. Do you want to bring it?" Consuela calls.

I turn around. There is a lump in my throat. Birthday noodle. My mom's food for us when we are having a birthday. "Just..." my voice cracks, I clear my throat. "Just leave it there, Consuela. I will eat it later after I bring Madeline back here.. to her home."