Chapter 23 - Ethan

What the...

I barely process the question. Madeline is coughing. I jump up and help her, tapping her back and giving her napkin.

"Sweetness, I'm sorry," I say to her. Luckily, we're seated in the secluded area so no one can see us.

She just nods and wipes her face. "Oh my God, Ethan! What is wrong with you?" She complains once she composed herself.

I sit back. "That's my words, Sweetness! Why did you ask something like that like you want to discuss the weather?" I complain.

"I leaned and whispered," she reminds me.

"Not good enough," I say. "And what the hell did you ask me about this thing?"

"Because... um..." Now her voice is smaller and her face blushes. "You know we... um... did that without, um... protection. So I just uh..." I raise my hand and stop her.

"You mean you are afraid that I gave you STD?" She nods and her face blushes even more.

I laugh. "Okay, first, that was the first sex I had without protection. Second, I just tested 3 months ago before we had sex and I haven't been with anyone until you... just you, I might add." And now her face as red as the apple.

"Why does Ben need to give you a Viagra that night?" She whispers.

I shrug. "I don't know. But maybe if he gave me a sleeping pill, the result would be the two of us sleep without having sex at all. And if I sober enough, I can find a way to make me 100% conscious and hunt him down."

She nods and I mumble, "he doesn't know that I don't need Viagra to lose control in front of you."

Her face is getting redder, almost violet. She clears her throat. "Well, as for the pregnancy, I'm sure I'm not pregnant. The time was wrong."

I nod. Weirdly, it flashes in my mind. If Madeline was pregnant with my baby, I could tie her down for the rest of our life. When I saw her with baby Archie, I really wanted that to happen. She holds our baby with the softest smile I ever see. And just like that, the southern traitor back to life. Oh, hi there, buddy! When I was in China, the southern traitor was a hermit, even though one of our clients brought us to the bar with a lot of sexy dancers. I thought something wrong with me, but when I came back to the hotel, Madeline's face came to my mind, and I jerk off with her as the main character in my fantasy. And, talking about my fantasy, my cock feels as hard as rock right now. Damn it! I adjust my seat uncomfortably.

She looks at me with her aquamarine eyes seriously. "You trust me, right?"

I look back at her eyes. Weirdly, I do. Never crossed my mind since the day she defended me in front of everyone that I don't believe her. And it scares me. Normally, it takes years for me to trust somebody.

I nod "I have trust in you, Madeline Parker."

***

I take Madeline to the indoor rink. I asked Jack to book it earlier. Madeline still clueless where we are going. Her dress is too thin for the ice rink, but I'm wearing a suit. I'll give mine to her later.

"Where are we going? Do I need to prepare anything for this meeting?" She asks me while we are close to the drop off.

"You'll see," I say.

We go into the rink and Madeline gasps. The rink is empty. It's just the two of us.

"Can you skate?" I ask her.

"You booked this place? We're not here for work, are we?" She looks at me, but her lips twitch up.

I shake my head and lean to her ear "this is a date," I whisper.