Chapter 16 - Madeline

3.50 pm. I finished all the tasks Sarah gave me earlier. I asked her for another work, but she said I need to prepare for my meeting with Ethan. What kind of meeting is this that makes the CEO cancel his meeting with his marketing director?

I check on my Microsoft Outlook to make sure I have nothing left when a hand taps my shoulder. I literally jump from my seat. "Gosh, Sarah! You scared the shit out of me!"

She laughs. "I'm not. You looked too focused on your job. I just want to remind you it's already 3.55 pm," she says, still laughing.

"Jesus Christ! Don't do that again. I could have a heart attack," I complain. My heart still beat a bit too fast.

"Hey Mads." Sarah sober. Her face softens. Huh? What's wrong? "You are an exceptional woman. I know we just knew each other for a day or two. But I can tell. Whatever happens in your life, trust me, you will get through it, okay? You are a strong woman," she says meaningfully, even though I'm clueless, but I can sense it.

"What... what's wrong? Is my job..."

"No no. It's not about your job. Just... life in general." She smiles and squeezes my shoulder again. "Go! Ethan doesn't like when people's late."

I nod. What was that? What was this meeting about?

***

Ethan opens the door before I can knock the door. How come? He gestures for me to come inside and he locks the door. What? I spin around and look at him.

"We need privacy," Ethan answers me, noticing my s past me. "You can sit on the sofa, Sweetness."

I glance at the sofa. There is a laptop on the table. I sit on the 3 seater sofa. The last time I sat here, Ethan sat next to me and we ended up kissing. But this time, I doubt it. The setting looks like the work meeting. Is that a hint of disappointment? No, no!! No, you crazy hormone!

Ethan clicks something from the side of his table and all the windows turn opaque. I raise my eyebrow at him. "Like I say, we're going to discuss something private. Do you want anything to drink, Sweetness?" He asks me and I shake my head. He nods and comes to sit next to me. Not as close as the one from But still too close for employer-employee.

"With all due respect, sir... why are you still calling me Sweetness in front of everyone? It's inappropriate." I force myself to not shake. His closeness made my heart thump faster.

He takes my notebook and pen, puts it on the desk. "We're not talking about work, by the way," he says softly. "As for your nickname, that's because I like that nickname. I think that's appropriate. Inappropriate is if I kissed the hell out of you in front of everyone," he says like he asks me what day today is.

I scowl at him, and he chuckles. He looks at me deeply. "Sweetness, I need to tell you something. I pray to God that what you will see wouldn't crush your spirit. You are a smart, sharp, intelligent, beautiful woman, Madeline. Trust me," he says. His hands cup my cheeks. I don't know what to do or how to react. He's not flirting with me like usual. This time I can see it's sincere and there is a hint of protectiveness, like he wants to shield me from anything that could harm me.

He puts down his hands and starts with his laptop. Inhale deeply he says, "this is the footage from that night. Jack, my investigator, already put it together. Your footage, mine, Ben's and Hudson's." He clicks to start the footage.

That was Thomas on the check-in counter. I saw the date and time. That was the day I came to LA. I still remember Thomas told me that he booked me a 5-star hotel because I couldn't stay at his place. He already checked in for me? But...