Chapter 55 - Madeline

I try to control my breathing inside the bathroom. I know what Geneva told me yesterday is toxic, but it affected me. I grab Ethan's robe and wrap it tight around myself. The mirror reflecting myself. disheveled hair, permanent frown on my forehead. I splash my face with the cold water and close my eyes, calming down myself.

Why am I mad at Ethan while all he does is pampering me? Don't do that to him, Mads. I dry my face and go to the door. Inhale deeply and open the door.

Ethan is standing close to the bathroom. His eyes look worried. I come to him. "Ethan, I'm sorry..."

He touches my face and caresses my cheek. "Tell me," he says softly. He knows something affected me.

Before I can say anything, my stomach growls. I just realized last night I only ate some light bites. Ethan chuckles and takes my hand. "Let's eat. I prepared omelette for you."

I study the food. "You cooked it?" He nods and sits me down on the bed, puts the tray in front of me and he sits in next to me. Both of us lean on the headboard.

"Eat. It's still warm," he says to me and gives me the fork. I take it and nibble my perfect breakfast.

"Thank you, Ethan."

He smiles at me and eats his breakfast, too. We eat in silence. After we finished almost all the food, Ethan drinks his coffee and looks at me. "You can shower here. I'm going to shower in the guest room so we will finish faster. After that we can go to the office if you want." He squeezes my hand.

I feel bad now. I hold his hand "I'm sorry, Ethan..."

"Will you tell me what happened to you?" He asks me softly. I just stare at him. "I will find out, Sweetness. I won't let anything happen to you. I don't like it when you are upset. So it would be easier and faster if you tell me now."

My eyes hot. My vision is blurry. "Don't cry," Ethan whispers to me. He cradles my face and kisses me. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. Do you trust me?" He says softly and I nod. I hug him tightly.

"It's not you, Ethan. Nothing really. Just some toxic words I need to bleach from my mind," I muffle in his chest.

"Who?" He whispers. Even though his tone shows nothing but, I'm sure he will hunt the person who makes me sad.

I shake my head. "Not important," I say. "I'm sorry Ethan. I'll be fine. Just give me some time. Okay?" I don't want Ethan to worry about me. This is not about him. Geneva is my problem. I can handle her. But on the other side I don't want Ethan to offend Geneva. Her father is on the project for one of our biggest films this year.

"Okay," he says, still caressing my hair. "Do you still want to go to the office? Or I can take you somewhere so I can put the smile on your face?"

I tense. Geneva's words ring in my ears.

One time, my father upset me. The next day, he picked me up and flew both of us to Bora-bora. Not to mention how he made me forget about everything at Bora-bora.

"Sweetness," Ethan pulls back and looks at me.

I can't see him now. I'm busying myself with the tray. "I have to go to the office, Ethan. If you tired, I can go by myself. I need to check with yesterday's charity."

He still looks at me. I can sense it. "I'll find out who did this to you, Sweetness. I won't let it go." His voices curt, and he climbs out the bed. Takes his phone from the coffee table.

"Ethan..." I stand up. His eyes go warm when he looks at me.

He comes closer and kisses me on the lips softly. "I love you, Sweetness. If you don't want to tell me, I won't force you. But as your boyfriend, I have every right to find out who makes you upset. I'm not letting this go easily." He kisses me one more time and leaves the room.