Chapter 26 - Ethan

"Sweetness," I call her. My eyes on her, but her eyes won't meet mine. "Look at me. What's wrong?" I'm trying to take her hand, but she takes it away like my hand is a snake. "Hey, hey," I whisper and lean over to her, forcing her eyes to meet mine.

She looks at me, her flush still there, her eyes glazed. She is as turned on as I am, but why did she pull away? God, why is it so hard for me to read a woman? Because you've never tried to read other woman before. Except they are your business associate.

"Why'd you stop?" her voice is so soft, I barely hear that.

"I... I didn't..." before I can finish she continues. "I know that you never date a woman with 0 experience, Ethan. This shouldn't happen. I... I have to go. See you in the office on Monday." Her voice tumbling so fast and small. She stands up abruptly and runs to the door. I run to her just in time before she stops. I almost crush her. She turns around and finds me so close. She takes a step back and her back on the door now. There is no space between us. The walkway to the door is small, since the boat isn't that big. She's still panting, and she still has a sudden interest with the floor. "Can... can you drive the boat back to the port?"

I realized we're still in the middle of the lake. I take her hand. She flinches, but I keep holding it and take her back to the couch. "Hey," I call softly, giving her a smile that I hope reassures her that everything is going to be okay.

She sits down and looks at me nervously. "Let's get back for a second with me. I'm kind of lost," I say, still with a smile. "You think, I stop because you don't have any experience?" I confirm, and she looks away from me. I take her chin back to face me. "No, Sweetness. You're wrong. I didn't stop because I don't like it. In fact, I stopped because I was afraid, because I don't know how far you will let me. You are the woman that needs to be wooed. All in order, getting to know each other, dating, start a relationship and married."

She smiles a bit, and the knot in my belly loosens.

"Today is our second date. Well, actually it's really our first date. Because yesterday I forced you." I shrug and she chuckles a bit. "And as usual, I can't control myself in front of you. But suddenly I realized, I can't let my hormones control me for now and lose you forever. I told you I want you, Madeline. I really, really want you. I don't want to screw up even though I guess I just screwed up right now." I take a deep breath and opt to be honest with her. "When I tried to gain my control, my brain messed up with me. I remember about... Hudson."

"Thomas?" she blinks.

"I..." I clear my throat "I swear to you I'm not a freak, Sweetness. I swear I'm not a jealous type." You sure Ethan? Shut up!! "I thought of you did this with Thomas, and I just can't..." I can't continue. This is too stupid for me. So I just stare at her, hoping she understands what I mean.

She stares back at me deeply and she laughs... Laughs?

"Ethan!" She laughs so hard and wipes her teary eyes. "Oh my God... you were thinking I made out with Thomas, when I was moaning under you?" she says. Her eyes widen, her face blushes, and she covers it with her hands. "I didn't say that, did I?"

Now it's my turn to laugh. I take her hands from her face. "Don't cover it! I like it when you blush because of me." We look at each other and we both laugh.

"Am I forgiven?" I ask her once the laughter dies.

She smiles and shakes her head. "You did nothing wrong. Um..." She clears her throat. "I have 2 things to confess to you, actually. Which one do you want to hear first?" her eyes gleaming wickedly. Her playful self is back. Thank God I didn't mess this up. "The first one is about me, the second one is about you." She grins.