Chapter 22 - Madeline

We arrive at the hospital. The nurses come and assist Sarah. I can't go through to the labor room, so I stand at the edge of the door. "Good luck, Sarah," I call her before they close the door.

She nods and mouths, "thank you". And the doors close, leaving me alone outside the labor room. I go to the administration desk and fill in the form as much as I can.

I sit on the plastic chair and call Toby.

"Is everything okay, Mads?" He answers without preamble.

"Yes, Toby. Your wife is inside with the doctor and nurses. You don't have to worry. Where are you?"

"Thanks Mads. We owe you. GPS says it takes another 15 mins."

"Okay, drive safe! I'll wait for you in the lobby. So I can take you faster to your wife."

"Perfect! See you Mads."

Next, I dial Drew's number, telling him that his Maserati is dirty inside. Thank God for Mr. Andreas Roderick. He says no problem and gives me the number from his usual car wash. I call them and they say they will pick up the car in the hospital. Hmm, typical service you got when you have a Maserati.

I call the office too, to inform them I won't be there until lunch break. So if there is something urgent they can call my phone.

All done, the car wash staff arrives to take the car, and Toby arrives. His hair disheveled maybe because he kept raking his hair all the way to the hospital, gone the tie and his face worried.

"Mads!"

I stand up. "Come this way."

We walk fast to Sarah. "She's okay, Toby. You know she is a robust woman."

"Damn right she is! Even so, I can't help the nervousness." He laughs nervously.

I chuckle. I can't help that. All soon-to-be daddy will be like him, I guess. Especially first timer.

When we arrive in front of labor room, Toby hugs me, saying his thank you, and he runs inside.

I sit there and take a deep breath. This hall is so quiet. When will I have my own baby? I smile to myself. Who will be the daddy? And somehow I realized that I haven't taken the STD test. I forgot! Literally forgot... I take out my phone to put it on my calendar when it rings. Ethan?

"Hello?" I pick up the phone.

"Where are you, Sweetness?"

"In the hospital. Sarah's water broke. I take her to the hospital...." I just want to ask him if he needs anything when I hear the footsteps and the hair on my back raise. Ethan. I turn around and my eyes find him. Ethan Hall, and he is looking back at me.

He smiles and comes closer to me with his phone still in his ear "I missed you, Sweetness."

We are standing so close, our body is almost touching. My eyes lock with his. "I missed you too." The words slip from my mouth.

And the next thing I know, Ethan kisses me thoroughly, and I kiss him back. His hands wrap around me. Pull me tightly to him. My hands wound around his neck. He smells so good. The faint of the Oakwood, clean laundry and after shave mixed perfectly with him.

We are kissing wildly when the nurse clears her throat. I pull back, my face blush and I glance at the nurse, my hand on my bruise lips. Oh my God, how long was the kiss?

"Ms. Parker?"

"Yes, that's me. Is Sarah ok?" My voice shaky from our kiss. Damn!

"Yes, she is ok. More than ok, actually. She asked me to tell you to contact the office, inform them that you are here, and remind them to contact you asap if the boss is looking for you." The wrinkling her nose in dismay. And I hear she mumbles something like better concentrate with the baby than with the work.