Chapter 21 - Madeline

Finally!! My own apartment! I take a deep breath and study my new home. It's a studio. To be honest... I chose a studio because I never had it. Silly but true. I lived in the apartment with Meredith when we were in college, and then moved to a big house when we joined the Vibes Club. After I came back to Julian Town, I lived in my house with mom. So yeah, never had the studio until now.

The queen-size bedroom, floor to ceiling windows facing the park. I have a small, open kitchen. Not that modern, but still ok. The soft green sofa isn't the latest model, but cozy. The color theme of my flat is earthy. So you will find most of them are off white and soft brown, a little green. This place isn't too expensive. I still have some money left. I also saved almost all of my mom's insurance for an emergency. My salary here is higher than in Julian Town, but I don't know what LA has for me. The last time I lived here, I was famous, money came easily to me. We made and spent a lot of money. But I used all my savings up for my mom's cancer treatment. It's worthy. She's worthy.

I finish unpacking when there is a bell. My apartment doesn't have a big lobby and a doorman. So I need to take a peek through the peephole to see who's coming.

Huh? Flowers?

I open the door; the boy asks my name to make sure he is in the right person. Giving me the bouquet and telling me that there is a card from the sender. Then he leaves.

I close my door and look at the flowers. What lovely yellow daisies! I open the card.

Congratulations on your new apartment, Sweetness.

Ethan! And I smile widely. Luckily, the landlord left some vase here. So I put the daisies there and put it in the middle of my table. The flower completed the room perfect. I take a picture of the flower and send it to Ethan. He calls in a few seconds.

"Thank you for the flowers!" I say cheerily once I pick up the call.

I can hear his chuckle. "You like it?"

"I love it!! The color is so pretty. It brings life to my apartment. Any particular reason you gave me the yellow daisy?"

"Because when I saw it, it reminded me of you."

I laugh. "Where did you read that quote, Mr. Hall? Last time I checked, you were a clueless man of dating, and now you are trying to say that you went to the florist by yourself?"

He laughs too. "Well, told you I'm a fast learner. And yes, I went to the florist by myself. I asked Tim yesterday. He told me about Sarah's favorite florist. There were so many flowers, Sweetness. My head dizzy from all the colourful things in the florist, not to mention the mixed smell of all those flowers." The way he told me is more like he was having an experience and that amused him. Not like some guy searching for brownies points from the girl. But my heart still swells with happiness. This man is so sincere.

"So, how's your new apartment? You like it?"

"Yes, perfect. By the way, Ethan, how do you know my address? I didn't tell you yesterday, did I?"

His silence makes me glance at my phone. I thought I lost the connection. "Ethan?"

He clears his throat. "I cheated."

"What?" I don't get it.

"You said you like it if I know about you by myself. But yesterday I cheated. Because you won't tell me where you stay. Or more precisely, you didn't realize I was probing for your exact address. You just told us the street's name."

I laugh. "Really? Am I that insensitive?"

"Even Christian realized it. He told me after you went home. He said you are clueless," he chuckles. I still laugh.