Chapter 48 - Madeline

Monday comes. It's time to work my ass off for the charity. Since I'm going to fully handle this. I need an assistant to help me at the charity. No Karen for sure, since she... never mind. No need to talk about her. Actually, Ethan asked the HR to send a termination letter to her. Not because of me. Because Ethan asked the HR to send a termination letter to whoever works under Camilia's payroll.

Hmm... I have no time. I need someone I trust. Anna is good, but I don't think she can handle this big event. Think, think, Madeline.

My phone is ringing. I check on it. Meredith!

"Hi, girlfriend," I say cheerily.

"Hi, girlfriend," she laughs. "Listen! I'm at your building right now. Wanna grab lunch together. Bring your boyfriend. I don't mind him being the 3rd wheels." She laughs and I laugh too. "Where are you now?"

"I'm on the 8th floor."

"Ah, the production floor. Are you signing some contract?

"Yes. Just signed the contract for filming for Thanksgiving short movie."

"Perfect!" I look at my watch. "You want me to go there or you're going to my floor? I'm on the top floor. Or you want to wait for me for another 10 mins? Sorry, I really have a lot of things to do in my hand right now, Mer."

"That's okay, babe. Still need to chitchat with people here, anyway." And she whispers, "don't want for them to assume I'm a crazy bitch diva." And she laughs. I join her too. Meredith is far from being a crazy bitch diva.

"Okay, I'll see you there in 10 min."

"Bye girlfriend!" She hangs up.

I finished my job in 7 mins. Still have another 3 mins. I go to Ethan's office. He's still on his phone, but he gestures for me to come to him. I walk toward him. He taps his lap and I sit on it. I link my hands on his neck, kiss his jaw. Ethan grins at me and puts his arm on my waist, while he nuzzles my neck. He often does this to me. He said he can recharge his energy by inhaling my scents. I know he's just flirting with me. But I'm happy. What can I say?

"Okay, we will talk later," he hangs up. "I love your apple scent, Sweetness." He is still kissing my neck and I giggle.

"Listen, we're going to have lunch with Meredith. She is here, signing some contract for Thanksgiving event."

"Do we have time for quickie?" He asks, still nuzzling my neck, one of his hands creeping under my skirt, the other one goes to my button shirt. I push him and stand up. "Apparently we can't do that sir, because Meredith is waiting for us."

"Okay, let's cancel her" Ethan pulls me back and I laugh. "Stop it! Come on" I pull him up. Ethan chuckles, rounding his hand on my shoulders and kisses my forehead.

***

We walk hand in hand on the Production floor. Ethan said he won't do any PDA, but at least he deserves to hold my hand in front of everyone. How can I say no to that?

"Lovebirds!" Meredith calls us.

Ethan and I come to her. We embrace each other.

"Okay, Ethan Hall, did she tell you I don't mind having a third wheel on our date?" Meredith asks Ethan while she loops her hand on my arm. Ethan chuckles and shakes his head. "Fine. I just want to treat you two. Okay?"

"Perfect," Meredith says and we laugh. "By the way, I need to say goodbye to some people. Give me a minute or two," she tells us and goes to the room.

Some people say hi to Ethan, since he is the boss and he is famous enough in Hollywood. I love it when Ethan keeps his hand on my waist when he introduces me to them.

Meredith comes back and the three of us go to the restaurant near The Hall. It's just a block away, so we walk there. Even though many people stop us because they want to have a pic with Meredith. Ethan and I wait on the side while Ethan keeps kissing my forehead.

"Why do you keep kissing me?" I ask him when Meredith is occupied by her fans.

"So everyone knows you are taken," he says and kisses me again. Can I scream? Because I'm so happy right now.

We sit at the table Ethan booked for us and order our food. Ethan checks his phone and holds my hand. "Sweetness, my cousin will join us for lunch. Is that okay?"

"Christian? Sure! Where is he?" I ask him.

I don't need to wait for Ethan's answer because Christian is walking towards us with his sunglasses. Every head is following him. People are already staring at our desk because Meredith is here. Now, we have Christian too.

"Christian!" I call him and stand up. Christian embraces me and Ethan. We sit on the benches table. Since I sit with Ethan, Christian slides next to Meredith. I realized Meredith is so quiet all of a sudden. Ah, I forgot the introduction. As far as I remember, they never worked together.

"Meredith, you know Christian?" I ask her and she just shakes her head a bit. Huh? Weird. Normally she is more friendly than this. Maybe she's nervous. She met a lot of handsome men, but Christian is an exception. He is super handsome even by Hollywood standard. And, I faintly remember Meredith was his big fan back then, but she stopped being his fan 4-5 years ago. I don't know why and never ask her, too. I assumed she was too busy with her works.

"Christian, this is Meredith Underhill, my best friend. Mer, this is Christian Hall, Ethan's cousin."

Christian looks at Meredith and holds his hand. "Hi, Merry," he says and Meredith shakes his hand a bit too fast. I frown. What's wrong with my girl?

Ethan clears his throat. "Dude, we already ordered the food. You should order too." Christian orders the food and we chat some more.

I tell them about the charity and ask both of them to come. Meredith and Christian are jewels in Hollywood. It would be great to have them in the charity. And they agree to come. Meredith give me some more ideas for the charity. She also mentions Rainey to help me for the charity. Rainey was our private assistant and friend back in our social media influencer's life. We still keep contact with her sometimes. I'm planning to contact her after lunch. Hopefully, she is available.

"Christian. How's your latest album?" I ask him. He smiles at me. "Well, I'm approaching my target, Mads."

"Cool! Who is she? Or he? I won't tell anyone." I lean closer.

Christian laughs and looks at Meredith. "Well, actually, the target is in front of me right now."

I lean back. "Really?" Christian and Meredith. That would be great! Both of them are rising stars! "Mer, you didn't tell me!"

"I didn't know, Mads." Somehow her voice was small.

"You should approve it, Mer. It would be great! This is one of our big project," I say excitedly. "Right, Ethan?"

Ethan puts his arm around me and looks at Meredith. "Well, I'm sure if we can pair you two together, that would be great. But the decision is yours to make, Meredith. I'm sure this project will put your name on top, not to mention the money you will earn from this project and the endorsement," Ethan says in business mode.

Meredith looks at him and smiles. "Thanks for the advice, Ethan. I will think about it."

After lunch, Ethan and I have to go back to the office. Christian said he would pay for the food. His treat for introducing him to Meredith. I text Meredith before we go back to the office to make sure she's okay. I can sense her uneasiness. And she replies that she's okay. So, I leave her there.

"Do you think there is something between Meredith and Christian?" I ask Ethan on our way back to the office. This time, no one stops us for a picture.

"What do you mean?" Ethan looks at me.

"I don't know. Looks like Meredith is uneasy in front of Christian. Is it because I was too excited about the album project?".

"You think too much, Sweetness" he says, squeezing my shoulder.