Heidi Rojas

It's September 16th, the night of Homecoming. Everyone in their fancy and expensive dresses and suits, masks covering their identities, their secrets. The jocks are flirting with the cheerleaders, the nerds are discussing next weeks math homework, and the band nerds are too busy looking over their next games music. The music was loud, you can almost know whats playing before you make it into the schools parking lot. The teachers sit on the side lines and watch everyone. Some sneak out to go to the empty class rooms to have some fun. But that's where you found me. You and Jacob sneaked away and decided to take room 220, one of the science rooms. He pushed you against one of the lab tables and kisses you. You were enjoying it, weren't you? You were so focused on each other that you didn't notice the girl behind the desk.

You didn't notice when she took her last breath until it was too late. You screamed. A loud scream. The hall monitor heard you and rushed in. He called for the others to rush over and to call 911. They forced you and Jacob out of the class room. My blank stare never left yours. Students from the dance some how heard the commotion and ran to where the new party was happening. Some had their phones out, already sharing it on their social medias. Jacob tries to get you to leave with him, but you won't move. Why's that? What's wrong with you? Did you notice something wrong or something out of place? Or did it finally hit you who I was? Do you remember me?

We knew each other, or at least, I knew you; isn't that right Heidi. We never talked much, maybe once or twice when we were paired in class. You always ate outside for lunch with your boyfriend and his friends. A cheerleader with her jock boyfriend, the perfect couple in high school. But nothing is as perfect as it seems, is it? So lets talk for a few minutes Heidi, like good old friends. But I don't think you want to consider each other friends, at least, not after what happened. I tried to tell you, but you said I was crazy and a lier. I guess that's why he said what he said.

Do you remember the beginning of Junior year? The night me and you decided to hang out with each other. I was thinking about joining the squad and you wanted to give me some tips. But your definition of tips was going to Jacobs party. His house was big, at least 10 rooms, a big kitchen and living room, and a large pool in his backyard. Of course you knew almost everyone there. We squeezed through the crowd of kids until we found the host. His smile grew larger when he seen you walk up to him. I never liked him. The way he looked at you or any of the other girls makes me sick. And you didn't care, or maybe you just never noticed. I never understood how you didn't notice but what could I do? I'm just a nobody compared to you.

We chat, for what feels like hours. I don't leave the couch I'm sitting on. I don't know if it was because I felt claustrophobic or if it was just too comfortable. I will sometimes catch him watching me but then pay attention to you again as you rant about cheer practice. Some people I didn't know would come up and say hello to you. It must be fun being popular huh? All the attention on you, everyone worshiping you as if you were some god. I envied you sometimes. Wishing I had what you had. Your perfect body. Your white smile.

Soon you left to go get something to drink, and that's when he decided to make a move. He pulled this girl onto his lap and they started making out. I could see one of his friends look around. Maybe looking out for you. You were gone for a while. I wanted to go look for you, and tell you what he was doing but I couldn't move. That was when I seen you push through the crowd. His friend grabbed the girl and took her upstairs. She was drunk, you could tell by the way she was walking.

I grabbed you before you could sit down. I told you it was time to leave. I knew I had to tell you. Especially away from him. And leaving would be the best way. You didn't put up a fight and followed me. I grabbed your keys out of your pocket and hopped into your car. All you did was sit there. Even thought you barely looked like you could keep your drank down I decided to tell you.

"Jacob was kissing another girl."

You looked over at me with a disgusted look on your face. I could feel your eyes locked on to me. It was really uncomfortable.

"You're lying, Jacob would never do anything like that."
"I'm not lying," I said, "he did and got rid of her before you came back."

But you didn't believe me. Instead you screamed at me saying how I was saying that so when she broke up with him, he could be mine. Why? Why didn't you believe me? That was the last time you talked to me. I decided not to join the cheer squad. You were gonna find out sooner than later. Even if it kills me.