Evening 3

"I want my lawyer."

I sat on the uncomfortable metal chair. The room was dimly lit and smelled like puke. They never took the cuffs off of me. I could feel the cold metal cut into my skin. It wasn't a good feeling. There was a mirror in front of me. I could see myself as I try to get out of the cuffs. 

"Hey, I know you're there! Let me go!"

I wanted to go home. My father was probably worried. But I didn't hear anything from him. He didn't even send me a lawyer yet. The metal door opened and two people walked in. One was a lady with short curly black hair. She held a yellow envelope and didn't look happy. The other was a man. He looked like he hasn't slept in a few weeks and he had a few stubble's on his face. 

"Ms. James, my name is Martha Rojas, I'm going to be your lawyer," she fixed her skirt and then sat down next to me. 

"Where's my actual lawyer? Why isn't he here?"

"Mr. Hutch had someone else to take care of," she looked distracted when she told me. I already knew who that someone else was. I just couldn't believe my father would worry more about her than his own daughter. I could feel Ms. Rojas' eyes on me and it make everything even more uncomfortable. 

"Harmon, are the cuffs really necessary?" 

"Yes they are. Now, lets begin. I have two more of you to go question."

Two others? How many of use are here? Who has he talked to already? Ariel? Jacob? Octavia? This wasn't good. I couldn't concentrate. Everything was spinning. Everything was going down hill. I had to do something, what if someone blames it on one of us? No, I wasn't going to go down, not like this.

"Ms, James? Can you answer the question." I looked up at him confused. I don't remember him speaking to me. "What was the question?"

"Where were you on the night of September 16th?"  

"I was at home." I was telling the truth or what I remember. 

"Can anyone vouch for you?" He looked annoyed. With every answer, it seemed like he didn't believe it. 

"Ariel, she was with me the whole time. You can go ask her."

The moment I leaned in the pain in my wrist got worse. I didn't know why they couldn't just take them off. I looked towards the mirror and didn't dare to look away. "Did you know Jasmine?" He asked me. The moment he said her name, I could see her standing behind me. Her hair was up like it always was, up in a ponytail. Her skin glowed under the dim light. She looked like she was enjoying what was going on. Like everything she's said and done before. 

"Come on baby, you have to answer," she draped her arms over my shoulders and kept whispering in my ear, "tell him how much fun we had."

"Ms. James, you need to answer the question."

I could see her smile. She probably knew what I was planning on doing. I needed to get the eyes off of me. I needed to get out and I needed to do it before someone blames it on me. "I've always known you were smart, Ash. Better go through with it before you lose the chance."

"Octavia killed her," I whispered. This seemed to catch everyone's attention, especially the ones behind the mirror. They came over the intercom and asked me to speak up. My hands started to shake and i started to bounce my legs. I didn't know what I was doing or how I'd be able to prove it, but I had to think of something. 

"Octavia killed Jasmine," I said again. There was a hint of fear in my voice and i knew they noticed. 

"Can you prove any of this Ms. James? You know if what you say isn't true, you will get another charge."

 "She came to me and Ariel about it. Jasmine had something against her and was black mailing her, she said she had to do something before she told the whole school," my voice was shaky, "We thought she was just joking, we didn't think she would actually do it."  I was hoping he bought it.

"That's all for now." He got up and left. 

"You did amazing Ms. James. I have to go for now, but I will be back if you need me," she said as she picked up her belongings and left the room. Two female cops came in and lifted me from the chair. 

We walked out of the room and out into the hallway. I had to squint my eyes due to the bright light.  We walked for a few minutes until we came to a holding cell. 

"What am I doing here? I thought  I was just going to be questioned?" 

"You still have other charges against you. Now sit down and be quiet."