1: I had friends. I guess.

(●ˇ∀ˇ●)

~

It was during spring when your love for volleyball in your heart suddenly open, you can't describe it but you could say it seems fun although you never try it before. You didn't even touch the ball before, but seeing your father teaching your brother how to play is already pique your interest.

"[Name]." Your mother calls out to you sternly, glaring at you. You see there is one problem that blocks your path to enjoy your passion for the sport - it was your mother. She was a small-minded person, she thinks all females must be feminine and taking care of the house instead of being adventurous and explore the world.

She forces you to learn those elegancies hobbies like ballet and piano which you hate. She would criticize those female athletes that appear at the television, complaining about how tomboyish they are and how this is not a woman should behave. On the other hand, you were amazed at how awesome they are, you always admire those strong independent women out in the world.

You would always peek inside the living room when your father shows your brother some video clips of some famous volleyball serve, learning it little by little then during the night, you went to the playground and practice. Because if you practice at your backyard, your mother would figure out and punishes you with more hours of practicing piano.

Even though your father tries to argue with your mother about doing what you want, but still couldn't fight over his wife's stubbornness. The worst thing is your brother is a stitch and would tell on you if you try to play volleyball because he is a selfish prick.

"You are already nine, [Name]. How many times do I have to tell you don't peek on them training volleyball." She sternly said as she nudges you head, you always hate it when she does this. She told you this so your love for volleyball would slowly vanish, but boy she was so wrong, your love for volleyball is like how deep the sea is.

"Now get ready, your piano teacher is about to come." She said as she pulls you into the room by grabbing your arms and leave the room doing god knows what - maybe she is drinking. Fortunately, your piano teacher is a kind-hearted woman that wouldn't hit you if you press a note wrong.

But your ballet instructor will surely hit you and sometimes touches young girls like you because he is a pedophile but no one speak up because they were too scared. He didn't touch you because one time you "accidentally" beat him up because there is a spider on him, causing him to have trauma.

You better not mess with me.

..

You went to the playground today since it was a sunny day and luckily no piano nor ballet lesson is in your way today. Your mother couldn't care less about you walking to the playground alone, she has something more important - spending time with your brother.

"Kuroo. Can we not do this today?" A small boy with black hair down to his neck whine at his friend who is pulling him by his arm while holding a volleyball in his hand. "No slacking off, Kenma. You are going to be my setter one day, so you better build up your basic." His friend is tall for his age, much taller. He has an interesting hairstyle which reminded you of a rooster head.

They begin simply set up the net, making you wonder where they get it from and start to practice some volleyball. 'Kenma' tosses the ball to 'Kuroo' as a setter would do, 'Kuroo' jumps but misses hitting the ball since he jumps a second slower. The ball rolls to your side, lightly hitting your shoe as it bounces off, you pick it up of course and ran towards where they are.

"Kuroo, are you doing the new technique again. Stop picking up those techniques from watching television." 'Kenma' said with a sad tone. "I told you before, this will be one of our impressive moves!" 'Kuroo' defend himself with an excuse.

"Oh?" The two notices you, as you slowly walk your way towards them. "Um..." Your thumb's nail taps the volleyball, as you were nervous to talk to a stranger since you only talk to your family so it was hard to adapt in communicating. In short, you suck at social skills.

"Hm? You want something?" Kuroo patiently asks you since he also sucks at talking to a stranger in the past. "L-let me play with you." You quietly mutter under your breath, making them have a questionable look on their face. "You need to speak up," Kenma said quietly. You make a tsk before saying "I want to play with you guys."

"Are you sure? We are very strong." Kuroo proudly said while pointing himself causing Kenma to have an eye-roll. "We aren't." Kenma truthfully said, making Kuroo have an arrow stabs in his heart. "Kenma! We need to scare our opponent! It's the basic of basic!" Kuroo whine making Kenma glace the other way, not looking Kuroo in the eye.

"So, what position you play?" Kuroo asks you, which confuses you. Position? You felt fluster at the lack of knowledge about volleyball so you ask back him. "W-what position you play then?" You cross your arms, puffing your cheeks out like a kid you are. "I play middle-blocker, the most awesome position a volleyball player could ask for!" He let out a chuckle.

"The most awesome position is the ace, though," Kenma said, making Kuroo having another arrow shot through his heart. "Kenma! You were supposed to be on my side!" He whines while placing a nudge against his arms. "So?" Kenma ignores his friend and faces you.

"Um... Ah! Wing spiker!" You said as you remember the announcer from some clips said wing spiker is specialties in defense and attack which you wanted to be. "Cool. But nothing beats middle blocker!" Kuroo proudly said. "Now let's play! 2 vs 1! Kenma is a setter so he should stick with me! And you tried to receive all of our attacks!"

"Kuroo isn't it a little unfair? She-" Kenma is interrupted by you yelling "Game on!". You weren't good at receiving as you thought you would makes Kuroo teases you and mocks you. So you started to research about volleyball and training even harder in the night causing you to have some eye bags. And it's all because of him, that cheeky little rooster head boy!

But you must admit playing with them makes you the happiest girl in the world. You haven't had fun since so long, it makes you glad you had a sad with a mix of a happy childhood.

Days turn to weeks and week turn into a year, you have known them and had fun with them for a whole year before you had to leave to Miyagi for your grandfather's funeral, you thought you would only stay there for a while but a while turns into for the rest of yours life.

..

You were wearing a white robe as you kneel beside the offering table. You and your brother didn't cry at the funeral since you never visit nor meet your grandparent before however your mother and father did shed some tears at the funeral. Your family woke early but sleep late at night since there is so much to do.

The funeral is going for three days before buried your grandfather coffin at the grave that your parents bought in some cemetery near your grandparent's house. You would play volleyball when your parents and your brother go out to send some gifts to the people who attend the funeral.

Your grandmother notices this and pity you since she knew your mother favor your brother more and forces you to do something you didn't like. She has an idea that would change your life and choices, she decided to keep you here with her with 'wanting to spend more time with my grandchild' as a reason.

Although your mother object to this idea, however, your grandmother is superior to her since she is an elder. Your mother reluctantly accepts the reality that she is no longer controlling you and return to Tokyo with a bitter taste.

"Welcome to Miyagi, my little grandchild." Your grandmother kindly welcomes you to her little hometown while patting your head. You raise your head to faces her and letting out the brightest smile you have. 

No more ballet and piano! Volleyball here I come!