36- Colchester Castle

*just an FYI Shane looks so cute in the episode ughhh I was rewatching it as I wrote and my heart just- !

The castle looms over us even before we pull up onto the property, it's huge silhouette sits on the horizon as we drive over and the sun sinks beneath the horizon, casting it into shades of black and grey. Once we've parked we get all our equipment together and then head towards the castle to meet a groundskeeper who'll be making sure we don't get lost in the sprawling location.

"Well, there it is, Colchester Castle..." Ryan says, shining his flashlight over the brick walls of the castle as we approach.

"Is this your first castle?" Shane asks,

"This is my first castle," Ryan confirms, we pass under the shadow of the castle,

"Same, it's very imposing from the outside," Shane admits.

It's truly an imposing castle... it really is a character in itself," Ryan scans the castle, "There's a little tree growing on the top of the roof!" He says, his flashlight beam catching on the branches of the tree.

"oh my goodness!" Shane says, looking up towards the roof. I laugh to myself and then we pass under an archway.

"Spooky castle- That's every investigator's dream! And now we're about to live it!" Ryan says, sounding pretty chipper all things considered.

"Yeah, we're turning into Scooby-Doo, we just need a van with flowers all over it!" Shane jokes, Ryan laughs and agrees and then we're face to face with the doors to the castle, the groundskeeper lets us inside and we find a pretty nice spot to film the history of the castle. I snap a quick picture of the boys while we're filming because honestly, the lighting is too good not to. 

Sophie's Insta Story

I quickly add it to my story just for a little extra promotion for the show

I quickly add it to my story just for a little extra promotion for the show. The camera is completely stationary for this whole part of the episode so it's not like I need to be laser-focused on it, but once I've posted the picture I turn my attention back to it. 

After talking about the history a little more we shift to the investigation. While we're on the ground floor we decide to head to the vaults, which are one floor beneath us. The stairs are steep and as soon as we descend the air feels cold and the harsh stone walls do nothing to help cozy up the place. The further we explore the worse it gets honestly, at some points Shane even has to duck to avoid hitting his head on the ceiling. 

Shane is crouching and exploring deeper into one of the offshoots of the main room, his head practically brushing the ceiling. He turns around to face us with a collection of spiderwebs in his hair. 

"I think I have cobwebs in my hair," He says calmly, I laugh and Ryan nods, 

"You do," Ryan laughs, and makes fun of the look for a minute before we move on. Unfortunately, we realize as soon as we step into the next room that despite Shane's best efforts the spiderweb is still chilling on his head.