43

The next day is the longest leg of our trip. We wake up bright and early to watch the sunrise and to make sure we get on the road early. I take the first shift of driving and we stop and get coffee and breakfast on our way out of Utah. Today we're driving all the way through Colorado and Nebraska to spend our last night in Omaha where we've scheduled to stay at a little Airbnb in the city. But there was no way we were going to miss out on the sights of Colorado so we've also planned to take a pit stop at the Rocky Mountain National Park.

After alternating driving between Shane and I for about 5 hours we finally get to the Rocky Mountains where we find a small lot to park and hike just a couple minutes to a scenic overlook where we can sit and eat.

"Are you getting excited to get away from me yet?" Shane asks, taking a bite of his sandwich. I laugh and shake my head,

"Not at all, I'm getting excited for the trip back already," I joke and he smiles. We sit and look out at the view for a little while, finishing our lunch.

Sophie's Insta Story

We climb back into the car once we've finished eating and thoroughly enjoyed the view

We climb back into the car once we've finished eating and thoroughly enjoyed the view. We've still got almost 9 hours of driving left till we get to the Airbnb in Des Moines which means we probably won't get there until late tonight.

A few hours pass and Shane is in the driver's seat and I'm sitting in the passenger seat reading a book with the music on in the background when he turns the volume down, I look up from my book and he kind of clears his throat.

"So uh," he starts, keeping his eyes on the road, "I was wondering, y'know since you're meeting my family and all, did you uh... did you want me to meet yours?" he asks. I earmark my book closing it and holding it in my lap as I think about the question. The music plays softly underneath the momentary silence.

"Sure," I say and Shane laughs,

"I don't have to, I just thought I'd ask-" he says, clearly sensing a bit of uncertainty in my voice. It's not that I think my family wouldn't like him, in fact, they would love him and that's where the problem actually lies. I know that they'll basically fall for him and then there's no telling how they'll act, what they'll say, or how quickly they'll jump to conclusions.

"No, you should," I say, "they'll love you!"

"Ok," Shane says, smiling a little, " alright... if you're sure!" He says. I laugh and nod,

"I'm sure. I should have asked sooner."

"No it's ok," Shane says, glancing over at me from the driver's seat. He smiles and takes one of my hands, squeezing it.

When we finally get to Des Moines it's dark and we weave our way through the city streets, parking behind the apartment building where we're staying for the night. The area is a little more sketchy than we had expected and as we climb out of the car the smell of weed is strong. Shane and I just laugh it off, going to the lockbox where the keys for the Airbnb are. When we get into the apartment it's not so bad, at least it matches the pictures online and besides, it's only for one night. We're both exhausted from the long drive and basically collapse into bed immediately.