44

*thanks for all the lovely comments! Don't worry I'm not quitting this book lol, I've just been super busy working this summer. Anyways updates will def be a little slow :( but they're not stopping!
Enjoy!!

It's nice to be home for a while, I spend the first few days baking with my mom, talking photography and videography with my dad, and helping my brother pack up his room. He just got a job offer in Santa Monica and he's getting ready to move out there within the next few months.

By Wednesday it's time for my trip to Shane's place for dinner. I spend the day fielding questions from my whole family about "what we are" and trying to mentally prepare to meet Shane's family.

I have about an hour  before I have to leave and Chris is sitting in my room helping me pick out an outfit despite his protests. Usually I'd ask my sister for help with this kind of stuff but she's off living her life and couldn't get a break from work to come visit at the same time as me. So instead I've forced my brother to sit still on my bed as I head in and out of my bathroom switching outfits.  After a few different options I finally step out in something that's hopefully passable. Chris is on his phone and I roll my eyes, tossing one of the unpicked t-shirts at him.

"Hello!" I say, grabbing his attention, he laughs and looks up,

"That's the one soph," he smiles and I sigh, "it's a casual dinner with his parents Sophie! You're not meeting the queen! This is perfect," Chris stands up and pats me on the back. "You look killer, now please get outta here!" He says. I sigh looking down at my outfit and deciding it will have to do.

"You're right you're right!" I say, grabbing my bag and then following Chris into the living room. He plops onto the couch waving me off casually and I roll my eyes, messing up his hair as I walk past him and grabbing the keys to his car from the tray near the front door.

"Thanks for letting me use your car by the way!" I say smirking,

"Hey wait!" He jumps up, I may have forgot to mention that I was planning on using his car since mine is in L.A.

"Bye mom! Bye dad!" I yell out, ignoring Chris as he scrambles over the couch to get to me.

"Bye honey!" I hear my mom yell from the kitchen and somewhere my dad echoes the statement.

I pull open the front door just as Chris gets to me,

"Come on Sophie!" He calls after me as I step out of the house and I laugh. He shakes his head,

"At least fill the tank!" He says and I roll my eyes and give him a thumbs up. He stands in the door with a hand on his hip and I can't help but laugh at how dramatic he is.

"Wait!" He says, I groan and turn around to face him, "good luck!" He says and i smile.

"Thanks Chris," I say unlocking his car and getting in.

The hour long drive to Shane's isn't so bad, and by the time I get to his place it's almost 6pm, just in time for dinner. I take a deep breath and shake out my hands after the drive before climbing out of the car. I brought a bottle of wine and flowers for Shane's mom because I could hardly imagine showing up empty handed.

When I knock on the front door I can hear the commotion inside and I smile to myself.

"I'll get it!" I hear Shane's voice, "mom I said-" he starts and then his mother opens the front door, obviously to his dismay. I smile,

"Sophie!" She beams at me, pulling me into hug.

"Mark!" His mother pulls away and ushers me into the house as she yells for her husband, "Mark she's here!" she shakes her head and turns back to me.

"These are for you!" I say passing her the flowers,

"Oh my goodness! Thank you, they're beautiful! You really didn't have to do that!" She says but before I can answer she's rushing further into the house and yelling for her husband again l I see Shane laugh to himself. He winks at me and smiles,

"You look nice," he says, kissing me quickly, "thanks for coming."

"Of course!" I say, smiling and following him further into the house. As we enter the kitchen he puts his arm over my shoulder. I'm a little surprised because well... no one really knows we're "official" yet, but I think our family's have already assumed that we are, so what's the harm.

Shane's dad comes down the stairs in a hurry, fixing his hair and smiling at me. He looks a lot like an older versions of Shane's brother, Scott who is helping their mom, Sherry with dinner.

"Hello!" Shane's dad says, I smile,

"This is Sophie," shane says, and Scott looks up from where he was cutting something for dinner. He smiles, wiping his hands clean frantically so he can greet me. I can't help but laugh to myself over all the energy in the Madej house.

We spend a little while drinking wine, Shane introduces me to everyone, and finally we all sit down to eat.

The whole night is a lot of fun, Shane's family is insanely friendly, and I can see what Shane meant whenever he told me about him and Scott being similar. After we eat we spend the rest of the night playing a pretty intense game of Monopoly. I'm not usually a very competitive person, and I know Shane isn't either but we still all get pretty into the game. Shane's mom ends up winning and I can't help but laugh at how all the guys react.

It's almost 11 by the time I finally head out, thanking Shane's parents for dinner and everything. Shane walks me to the door and once his mom has hugged me goodbye and his dad and brother have waved me out it's just the two of us.

"How'd I do?" I ask, my voice quiet incase his family is still nearby. He laughs,

"Perfect, though your Monopoly skills could use some work," He jokes and I roll my eyes,

"So could yours!" I argue. He just laughs,

"Alright, fair," he says, smirking, I shake my head.

"Goodnight Madej," I say, grabbing the door handle,

"Goodnight," he says, "Drive safe," he leans over and gives me a peck before I pull open the door,

"I will," I say, stepping outside and starting towards my car.

"Text me when you're home!" He yells from the door, I laugh

"I will!" I call back, climbing into my driver's seat and waving before driving away.

...

The rest of my week at home passes in a sort of slow blur. I spend a lot of time with Chris going through a bunch of stuff from our childhood while he packs. It's kind of sad and kind of nice. Shane and I don't text or call much for the rest of the week, I think we're both too busy focusing on making the most of our time at home.

At the end of the week Shane pulls up in front of my house to pick me up for the trip home, but of course my parents couldn't just send us off without seeing him one more time. All week they'd been pretty nosy and just wanting to know more about Shane and our relationship. One night my mom and dad ended up binge watching Buzzfeed Unsolved out of curiosity and falling in love with the show.

So we eat breakfast at my house before getting back on the road again and then after a frankly excessive send off we're on our way back to L.A. No fancy hotels on the roster for this leg of the roadtrip though, we're taking the quick route which means we'll probably spend a few nights at various motels before making it back.