CH. 13 ~ Choi San

The soft, night-time breeze hits my exposed skin cooling me down. I'm beginning to sweat as I follow the light-blue hue on the ground. I feel a small buzz under my skin every time it pulses. The pulses aren't as random, becoming steadier and brighter as I seem to get nearer to where it's taking me. The whispers also seem to get clearer as I follow the path. Sticks break and get crushed with each step I take. I try to keep stealthy so as to not alert any creep hiding in the underbrush.

I soon hit a road, dimly lit. I look both ways before stepping onto the cobblestone. My boots lightly tapping the road. It's eerily empty considering the ongoing festival with no carriages in sight. I continue following the blue glow. The buzzing under my skin becomes so strong I begin to actually hear it. The whispers become clear and the wind picks up ushering me forward. Random words are thrown at me left and right.

Pain.

Ache.

Anger.

Turmoil.

Fear.

All these words circle around me and get louder as I arrive at the source. The trail disappears and I'm left standing in the middle of the dimly lit cobblestone street. I look around squinting my eyes for any signs of people. Houses line both sides of where I stand. The lights seem to be turned on but there doesn't seem to be any sign of life, that is until I hear a bang and a loud cry coming from one of the houses. My heartbeat quickens as I anxiously run to hide in a small space between two houses. The street lights don't shine on me, keeping me hidden but everything in my line of sight visible. Soon the door to the house at my right swings open illuminating the street. I hear loud arguing and crying when someone is launched from the front porch and onto the street.

"Daddy! Daddy, please stop! Leave him alone!" A girl that's doesn't seem to sound much older than me cries out. I peek my head around the corner taking in the scene to see a tall, burly looking man holding a gun, aiming it at the floor where another is sprawled on. The girl, whose face I can't make out in the poor lighting, grasps and pulls at the robust man begging him not to shoot.

"Go upstairs, princess, you don't have to see this," the burly man replies calmly which is a huge contrast to how he looks. He looks tense and pissed off, anger seeps through his pores contaminating the air around him. "Now." He commands but she perseveres.

"NO! Father, please let him go! I promise we won't ever see each other again, JUST LET HIM GO!" She yells letting out loud sobs. Seeing her in tears looking so helpless makes me want to act but as much as I want to step in, something pulls me back. If I step in, there's a bigger chance that me or whoever he's aiming at can get injured, and that's the last thing I need right now.

"I SAID GET INSIDE!" he roars swinging an arm at the girl. She steps back to avoid the fist looking at her father with terror.

"Iseul, listen to him," the man on the floor finally speaks up. I hadn't paid attention to him but he seems to have been in a bit of a brawl. He struggles to get onto his knees and he holds on tightly to his rib cage, grunting about with every movement he makes. From this position, I can't see his face too well but everything about him, from his voice to his build, looks insanely familiar. "Go inside... for me," his voice breaks at the last syllable and it's only then that I realize who it is kneeling on the floor.

It's San.

His ragged breathing sounds a bit shallow as if he will hurt himself if he breathes in too deeply. The girl not knowing what to do stifles her sobs backing up slowly into the house. Only when the door closes, does the man with the gun speak.

"I warned you to stay the hell away from her," The big man spits, "Get up. Show your face like a real man!" San doesn't move, making the other man impatient. "I SAID STAND UP, SISSY!" the man yells. San flinches struggling heavily to stand up. He shakes a bit as he stands but the weird thing is, it's not because he's injured. He's scared, I can sense it. He clenches his fists to stop the shaking and lifts his head, squaring his broad shoulders to face the robust man. The man walks up to San towering over him. He blocks my view of San but I can still tell that he's terrified. "I told you--" The man seethes slamming the barrel of the gun into San's face "-- to stay away! You disgusting, pirate scum!" He keeps slamming his fist into San's stomach making him groan from the pain. I wince each time his fist slams into San's body. "You thought I wouldn't find out?! You vile creature!" San collapses but the man doesn't stop. Instead, he kicks San in the stomach repeatedly, making him curl up into a ball. I can hear San's muffled grunts and whines. When the man has tired out he stops letting San catch his breath.