CH. 22 ~ The Botanist Pt. 1

It took us two days to get to Illoriant but after struggling to get here, we find ourselves getting ready to sneak into the port as a commercial trading boat. The Aurora seems as lively as ever as the crew works together to hide and arrange any peculiarities that might give us away. Apparently this isn't the first time the Ateez crew has had to go under the disguise of a commercial trading boat, so everyone knows exactly what they need to do and how they need to do it.

"Alright, everyone listen up! I'm saying this now and I'm saying this once." Eye-patch shouts From atop the forecastle deck. Everyone stops what they're doing in order to listen to what the captain has to say. I know I've spent a lot of time with this crew already so I should be used to Captain's strong presence of authority over the crew, but I just can't seem to stop admiring it. The crew doesn't seem to be listening out of fear of getting punished like the servants would with Queen Lee, they listen to him out of utmost respect. "In a few minutes, we'll be arriving at the port of Illoriant. Now I know this isn't the first time we've docked there but it will be the first time we dock there under the new law. I won't be sharing the specifics but I do want you all to be safe. Try to stay on the boat as much as possible in case of an emergency, and we have to leave. If you really need to get off or do something in town, take a buddy with you. Is that clear?"

"Yessir!" the crew shouts back in unison. Captain nods off letting the rest get back to work while he makes his way over to me. He walks up with a forced smile. It makes me uneasy to see him like this.

"How are you holding up?" I inquire when he's close enough to hear me. He doesn't respond right away, stalling.

"Not so good. I won't be able to wear my special coat while we're here," He pouts adorably gesturing to the fur coat that rests on his shoulders. I smile back, still not convinced with his answer.

"Really, Eye-patch, you look like you haven't slept enough. What's bothering you?" I ask trying to pry him to get the truth. I've been thinking about what Bina told me about everything happening for a reason and I've come to think that maybe, just maybe, I could help be a pillar of emotional support for these men. The only issue is, getting them to open up because if they're all as tight-lipped as me then there's no hope. Captain only eyes me up and down suspiciously.

"There's really no changing my nick-name is there?" He tries to diverge the attention onto something else.

"No, now stop dodging my questions. Are you worried?"

"What? The pirate king? Worried? Never."

"Then?" Eye-patch shrugs me off, sticking out his lower lip.

"Don't worry about me. Worry about yourself. The powerfulest queen known to the four kingdoms has you on her hit list and the first thing you do is worry for someone else? That's foolish."

"Then I guess that makes us both a fool." I retort, catching him off guard, "I know you're worried about Jongho. I am too. Even though I haven't been with all of you for much time I know what it's like to lose someone you love, knowing you could've done something to prevent it." Eye-patch tenses his jaw keeping a straight face devoid of any emotion. Taking that as my sign to stop pushing, I stay quiet next to Captain, only glancing in his direction sparingly. Something isn't right, we're both aware of that, but I have a feeling that he's hiding something from me.

"Sun-Mi?"

"Hm?"

"Promise me that you won't wander off without one of the crew members at your side." I turn my head to fully face him, questioning his thought process behind this statement. It's obvious that we have to stick together because of our destination.

"I mean obviously but why are you telling me this?"

"We had an old crew member that we lost here. I just don't want you to get hurt. As a captain of this crew it is my duty to protect all of you with my life because I'm your captain and you're my crew." There's a slight pause between us as I try to swallow down my guilt of lying to him and the rest of the crew. They've all pretty much accepted me, but the me they know isn't even me. And even with my vague and ambiguous backstory they still look out for me like I've been a part of them for years and not just a few months.