CH. 16 ~ Incident

The week flew by pretty quickly. I still feel like it was only yesterday I was watching the fireworks with Wooyoung. Today's the last day that the Ateez crew is staying in town which means that I have to make my decision today. And since all of the crew members are busy making preparations to leave, I'm stuck working the whole day helping Bina. She sent me into town to pick up some things by myself. She knows about the deal I made with Eye-patch so she thought it would be good if I went out and had time to think about it. But, what even is there to think about? They don't need me, I'm just a dead weight. Besides they would never truly accept me into the crew as one of them, would they? I mean, as close as I am with Yeosang, Seonghwa, and Wooyoung, I still feel like an intruder. I shake my head with a loud sigh trying to concentrate on the task at hand.

As I wander between the different stands, collecting the needed items, I notice the small child from the festival a few days ago trying to smuggle a piece of bread along with some other kids. They're covered in soot and grime with torn clothes and scrapes everywhere. The only thing that remains untouched is his innocent smile. Seeing them like this just breaks my heart.

I continue walking while keeping an eye on the said children when I notice that they begin to cluster around a stand that has just put out a fresh batch of sour dough bread. The smell wafts into my nose as if calling me towards it. I focus back on the kids to see them distracting the vendor. He swats and yells at them but they just continue to jeer and pester the man. I laugh at the sight a bit surprised at how sneaky they are when I see the boy from the festival creeping up behind the man and reaching for the bread.

At this point, I'm hoping and praying that the child can take the bread but before he's even able to lay a finger on the baked good, the vendor turns around slapping him harshly. He yells insults and disgusting curses at the poor children who only stand there, teary eyed and afraid of his violent reaction. My blood boils at the sight. I walk calmly to the stand already trying to think about how I will get those children their food when I see the man recoil his hand once more. The boy shuts his eyes as tight at he can, waiting for the blow but I don't allow it.

"Stop!" I command stepping in front of the child. The vendor becomes confused, stopping his hand about midway.

"This isnât yer business. Now stay out o' it, ye rat!" He angrily responds with his heavy accent, trying to push me out of the way. He misses and I take that as my chance to grab the bread. I hand one to the little boy and I'm able to give the other children two more of the bread loafs when my hand is roughly yanked upwards. I let out a small squeak as I'm forced onto my tippy toes. He violently pulls me towards him, my faces only inches away from his oily and sweat filled one. "I told ye t' scram, dimwit! Yer goin' t' pay fer that!" His breath smells like stale whiskey, burning my nose. I gag internally, curling my lip in disgust.

"Those children were starving. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to hit them. They just wanted food," I snarl only making him laugh. He eyes me trying to sneak a glance down my loose-fitting, cotton-white shirt.

"Ye 'ave t' pay up fer those loaves..."

"That's what I intended to do. Now let go so I can get my money," I command, trying to twist my arm out of his grip but it only tightens.

"Oh, no. I donât mean wit doubloons," he smirks creepily licking his lips.

"You perverted Bastard!" I reel back in disgust as I spit in his face. That takes him aback for a moment but only a moment.

"Ye little—" he lifts his free hand up high and I look around hoping that anyone would step in, but everyone is acting oblivious to what's happening in front of them. I brace myself for the impact shutting my eyes just as tightly as the little boy did earlier, but the hand never comes down. Instead, all I hear is the cocking of a gun. I only open one eye, peeking out to see what's delaying the hit. When I open my eyes fully, fixating them on the scene in front of me, I see Yeosang holding a musket at the vendor's head.