CH. 52 ~ Chaos

Chaos.

Meaning a state of utter confusion, disorder, or disarray. Yet, not even this word can describe the hell that's been unleashed through this Royal Navy attack.

As I weave through the stands of the outdoor market-- leaving behind a frantic Seonghwa in its wake-- I think I can still hear him calling for me even now that I've exited the large formation of stands.

I find myself entering the back alleys, the same ones I took last time to visit Iseul with San. It's just as empty as I remember it, save for a couple of dead bodies sprawled around and left deformed from bomb shrapnel and gunshots. These people probably crawled all the way here to die. I feel bile rising in my throat and it takes everything in me to not just throw up my entrails right about now.

Moving on from the horrific sight, I occasionally have to freeze when I hear gunshots too close, or when a stray cannon shot crashes somewhere around me out of fear of getting shrapnel stuck in my skin. It's been probably 10 minutes that I've wasted in running around since I left Seonghwa behind, and I'm still not anywhere closer to getting to our missing members than before.

I slowed down the pace I was at the minute I started walking on the run-down cobblestone street, but I still feel exhausted from my prior running. I'm panting heavily as I try my best to steady my heartbeat. An enormously difficult task considering the explosions and the fighting that is keeping me on edge and accelerated.

My panting was so loud I almost missed the rustling in the bushes behind me. It was probably a couple of steps ahead of the salient bush that would rustle when I gave it my back, yet still when I faced it.

A small chill slithers down my back causing me to shiver when I notice this unsettling detail about the bush. Moving my hand to where my satchel would be if I had it, I realize I left it back at the diner. I curse myself mentally and start getting frantic because that means I don't have my chakrams. And if I don't have my chakrams, I don't have a weapon to protect myself. I could use my magic, but I risk using up more of my energy that way.

Oh god, I think to myself, Why did it have to be now?

I ball up my hands into tight fists, swallowing down my fear of what's lying in wait for me. I don't have a physical object to protect me and I can't really rely too much on my reaction time with my magic, but I can't go on oblivious to the rustling bush. Someone could be waiting to blow my brains out.

Anxiety and a restless curiosity get the better of me. I find myself slowly sliding over to the bush, holding my breath as I do. The closer I get the more noticeable the tiny droplets of blood become. The crimson droplets get thicker, creating a trail that leads all the way to the bush. I think I hear a small gasp come from whoever is hiding in there when I bend down. My heart pounds against my rib cage mercilessly and I begin doubting myself.

What are you doing, Sun-Mi? Stop being stupid!

No matter how much my mind nags at me, my body acts of its own free will. I stretch out a trembling hand to part the large set of bushes hiding whoever it is that's there from me. My thoughts run wild, throwing hundreds of deadly scenarios, but nothing stops my limbs from grabbing the bush and parting it violently to reveal who's there.

All I see is a blond streak shoot up out of the bushes covered in a dark red liquid that's coming from its face. I hear the cocking of a gun followed by the toying of a trigger and instinctually my magic reacts, building a makeshift barrier out of the roots of the bush. The roots enlarge and build a wall in front of me so that when the gunshot goes off, it makes contact with the root instead of my head.

Whoever was there had spun around so quickly and I had freaked out badly, which meant I didn't get a good look. When I peak around the corner to see who it was, all I see is the familiar form of the blond navigator of the Aurora stumbling and groaning like a madman as he tries to escape. He has his back to me so I can't see his face but I notice that he's discarded his blue jacket and that while he carries his pistol in one hand, his other hand remains on his head.