CH. 25 ~ Secret

Our walk to the docks was hazy. My head feels light and I can barely feel my feet touching the ground. It has started to drizzle on us but I feel completely numb as the water droplets fall onto my pale skin. Nobody has uttered a single word since we left the sight of the gallows, and I'm grateful for that. I don't think I would be able to act humanely if someone were to say something to me. Mingi continues to help Yunho walk properly up ahead with Captain right behind him. I tail them, staying just a few feet behind so as to not make contact with them.

Ever since I joined this crew I've done nothing but hinder them and bring death along with me. It seems that everywhere I go with them, something bad happens whether it be death or worse. Maybe San was right about it being a mistake to add me to the crew. My brows pinch together as I tighten my hold on my herb-filled bag, digging my nails into it, and almost ripping the paper. I had been so deeply engrossed in my train of thought that I hadn't been paying attention to what was going on in front of me, causing me to run into someone. I almost fall backward but the person in front of me reaches out to securely grip my shoulders, steadying me. They tower over me which forces me to tilt my head upwards to look at them. I frown slightly when I see Mingi looking down at me with his lips in a taut line.

"What?" I ask probably a bit too aggressively because of the way he flinches back at my sharp tone. He quickly retreats his hands, stuffing them into the pocket of his pants as he looks around before looking at me again.

"How are you...," He trails off, unsure of how to keep going but I have a good idea of what it is he's trying to ask.

"Shouldn't you be helping Yunho?" I say pointedly, trying to change the topic of discussion he's going for. He looks back, and I do too, seeing Captain help Yunho up the gangplank. Mingi seems to struggle with how he wants to answer that so I sigh, finally letting myself relax a bit. "I'm fine, Mingi, I really am." I try to reassure him but he doesn't buy it.

"No, you're not fine. You just witnessed somebody get executed and you haven't uttered a single word since then. What were you even doing? It kinda seemed like you wanted to see her death." He begins. There's an accusing edge to his voice that begins to show at his last statement.

"You think I wanted to see that?!" I scoff offendedly at his incriminatory remark, wiping away some raindrops that have accumulated on my face, "It was horrifying to have to see that. I--,"

"THEN WHY WOULD YOU TURN BACK?!" He raises his voice, and I shrink away from his sudden roughness. His violent demeanor sets off a subconscious alarm which causes me to tremble slightly. The red-head notices this change in my stance and he instantly tries to control himself.

"I didn't want to see that. You have to believe me. I know this might seem far fetched but something-- no, someone was controlling me. I was scared and it terrified me that I couldn't do anything no matter how hard I tried." At this point, I hope he can hear the sincerity because I've really wedged myself into an awkward position. Only until now have I realized how that happening might've looked like to Captain and Mingi. Mingi pinches his brows tightly, trying to discern whether I'm sincere or not.

"So, you're telling me you were forced to watch it?" I nod vigorously and he presses his lips into a thin line. "Well, who was it?" I look away unsure if I can tell him. If I do tell him, he'll ask more questions on how I know who it was. I risk exposing my identity as the "Misfit princess" but if I want him to trust me more I need to start somewhere, right?

"S-Sehun," I mumble under my breath to which he responds to with a flat face.

"I can't hear you."

"Sehun!" I repeat louder this time, allowing him to hear me clearly. He stares blankly at me for a couple of seconds before he speaks again.

"Sehun? Please tell me you don't mean that douchebag prince of Illoriant we just saw execute that poor girl." I bite my lips wishing that I could tell him it was another man I was talking about but he understands it's not. "W-Wha-- How... WHY would he even do that? Do you have beef with him? He couldn't have made you watch that 'just for fun'."