twenty-nine - night changes

[we were too young
to know that we had everything.]

__________________________________

[TWO WEEKS LATER]

"The girls are coming over, right?" Niall asked. I raised my eyebrows, and looked at the other boys around the table.

"Yeah," Liam said happily.

Liam's girlfriend Emily, Harry's girlfriend (and also my best friend) Cassie, Zayn's girlfriend Perrie, and Louis' girlfriend Eleanor would all be to the house in half an hour.

They all knew the deal with Harry and I, and that it was all fake and for the press. I'd only ever met Perrie and Cassie, but I was sure that all of the girls would be nice. Hopefully, they would be, anyways.

"What can I do to help you set up?" I asked the boys.

"You don't have to do anything, peaches," Liam said, patting my cheek as he walked by.

Niall came over and pulled me out of my seat. "You and I are the only single people in the house," He laughed. I laughed too, and let my eyes flicker to Louis for a second. He was already looking at me.

We had our moment two weeks ago. We said goodbye to whatever hope we had. Now, all we were left with was stolen glances, sighs, and what if's. It was better this way. It has to be better.

"After all of the couples sneak off to do whatever, do you want to help me work on a song?" I asked.

"Can you go one night without working on that album?" Niall teased, bumping me with his forearm.

"No, I can't," I said, "I need it to be perfect."

"Anything you do is going to be perfect," Louis mumbled as he walked behind me. I bowed my head and wiggled my fingers for a second, trying to brush off his comment.

I need to move on. I can't keep trying when I know it won't work.

"I can't believe you're half way done with it and you still won't let us listen to it," Harry complained. He sat a tray of cookies down on the kitchen counter.

"And I can't believe you worked in a bakery for three years and still needed help to make those cookies," Zayn teased him.

"Thank you!" I laughed exasperatedly.

"Actually, I know I said I didn't need you to do anything, but can you hang up the lights outside? Thanks!" Liam said quickly, giving me a tangled ball of fairy lights. He disappeared out of the kitchen before I had the chance to respond.

"Yay," I mumbled sadly. I stepped out into the backyard and started untangling the lights.

I might not have been able to stop working on my album, or fix Louis and I's relationship, but I could definitely hang up the lights.

-

"Bitch!"

I turned around on the ladder and saw Cassie standing below me. "Bitchhhhh!" I said excitedly, stumbling down. "How was your flight?" I asked, wrapping her in a hug.

"It was good! Look at you, you're like a completely different girl!" Cassie said, pushing me back my shoulders.

"I am not!" I argued, looking down at myself.

"You totally are. Now, bring me to your room so we can catch up on all of the drama we've missed," Cassie said, pushing me inside.

"What about me?" Harry pouted.