NA NA NA

There was something blissful about falling.

I was being pulled down, head first, by gravity. I realized that it was what I had been feeling for months. The feeling of falling through the air head first, not sure if anyone or anything would be there to catch me.

The bungee cord I was attached to stretched, slowing my decent. When it pulled me back up, I screamed and laughed.

I watched upside down as Liam took the leap. A loud scream escaped his throat and I laughed harder, screaming myself when I started to fall again.

After a minute, our lines stopped snapping us up. We were right side up, laughing hard and talking excitedly.

"I can't believe you pushed me!"

"It was just a little nudge," Liam defended. We both laughed again. The hydraulic machine we were attached to started pulling us up.

"I would have jumped," I said.

"You would?"

"Yeah, I think so," I said. "And anyways, if you were gonna do that, you shouldn't have warned me first." We laughed again. We got to the edge of the bridge and one of the workers offered his hand for me to take. I put mine in his and he hauled me up.

My legs felt like jello underneath me and the guy put his hands on my biceps to make sure I didn't fall.

"¿Estás bien, niña?" he asked. I raised my eyebrows and nodded. I looked back at Liam, who was obviously confused. Liam didn't know Spanish. Me, on the other hand, I grew up in neighborhoods with strong Latin presence. The guy had said Are you alright, little girl? "Carlos, mira este! pequeña," He said. 'Carlos, look at this one! Small.' Carlos, the guy who was taking off Liam's bungee harness, looked up at me.

I pressed my lips together and considered my options. Did I let the guys know I understood them? That might not be a good idea. Not if they were sizing me up.

"Chiquita, is this your boyfriend?" The guy asked.

"No, he's my brother," I said.

"El tipo es demasiado grande, no es una buena idea," The guy removing Liam's harness, apparently Carlos, said. 'The guy is too big, it's not a good idea.' He was sizing Liam up as well.

I realized we were definitely in some kind of danger.

"Liam," I said. "Did you call mom about our plans with her tonight?" He furrowed his eyebrows and I blinked at him.

"Yeah, I did," Liam said, "we're on for six, right?"

"Right," I said.

"Sería malo que Bunny y su hermano aparecieran en el hotel sin sus pertenencias, ¿no crees? dejémoslos en paz," The guy with my harness said. 'It will be bad if Bunny and her brother show up at the hotel without their belongings, don't you think? Let's just leave them alone.' He smiled up at me, unaware that I understood what he was talking about. I smiled back, playing dumb. They wanted to rob us.

My guy pulled the harness off of me while Liam's pulled his off of him himself.

"Mira sus aretes, son cientos de dólares. Me aferraré a esta cabeza de carne y tú las obtendrás!" Carlos said. 'Look at her earrings, those are hundreds of dollars. I'll hold onto this meat head and you get them.' Liam gave me a confused look and I subconsciously brought my hand up to my ear.

"Well, uh, thank you guys for this but we should go," I said. Liam moved himself beside me and when I gave a small polite wave, the guy who unstrapped my harness grabbed onto me. "Hey!"