ROCK ME

Donte and I climbed into his car and he pulled away from my house. For a long time, he was quiet. I was quiet too.

"You had a party with a bunch of people and didn't invite me?" Donte asked.

"It's just the boys and their girlfriends-"

"Yeah?" Donte cut me off by slapping his steering wheel. "Why is Riley there then?"

"They told me to invite my friends," I whispered.

"Aren't we friends?" Donte challenged.

"We are," I said quickly. "I don't know, I feel like it's tense between you and my brothers. And you aren't really friends with the girls, so-"

"So you chose the girls over me?" he asked, looking over at me from the drivers seat. I shrank into myself.

"I thought that we would hang out later, you know?" I stammered.

"You couldn't have texted me and told me that? I drove all the way here because you're too dumb to just text me back? That's what happened?"

"Yeah," I whispered.

"No, say it," Donte demanded. James used to make me do the same thing. Admit what I did wrong, even when the only thing I did wrong was exist. But I didn't want to make Donte mad.

"I was too dumb to text you back," I mumbled, "I'm sorry."

"Thank you," Donte said. He turned right, and started looping back towards my house. "How's your eye?"

"Hurts," I said. Donte hummed but said nothing. Nothing like I'm sorry, or I regret that. But he had to regret it, right? "I didn't mean to make you angry, I'm sorry."

"It's whatever, at least you learned your lesson," Donte said. I nodded and closed the eye that wasn't swollen shut, trying to block everything out.

How did I get back to where I was? I'm trapped, I can't tell the boys. There is no solution. Not right now. I just have to wait until I can find a solution that keeps everyone from getting hurt.

Donte pulled out front again. He looked over at me and smiled softly. "Hang out later?"

"I'll talk to the boys," I said, "I'll let you know."

"Okay," Donte said. "Get out, I've got to go pick up a girl." My blood ran cold. If I go with him, that would keep the other girl safe, wouldn't it? "Out, now."

I didn't have any more time to think about it. I climbed out of the car, I did what he said. He pulled off and I went back inside. The boys, their girlfriends, and my friends were all sitting in the living room.

"Okay, sorry about that, I'm back. What are we gonna do?" I asked, looking between the crowd of 13.

"We were taking about going to the zoo," Niall said. I raised my eyebrows.

"The zoo?"

"I work there, I can get us in for free," Riley said.

"We can't go anywhere," I said. "My eye is too noticeable, bad press, right?"

"Oh," Harry said, "we forgot about that."

"You guys can go," I offered.

"You really think we're going to leave you here when the whole party is for you?" Harry asked. I laughed and shook my head.

"No, that wouldn't make sense," I said.

"No, it wouldn't," Emily said. She made a grabbing gesture towards me and I went to her, sitting between her and Liam.