thirty-seven - girl almighty

[i am still healing
into the person i was meant to be]

______________________________

"Mickey, wake up. We have meetings today," Niall said. He was holding my hands and pulling me up so Liam could slide out from underneath me. I blinked, still half asleep. "You need to take a shower. Why are you so dirty?"

"We played football at the park yesterday," I said with a yawn. "What time is it?"

"5:30," Niall said. I kicked my legs off of the couch, having fallen asleep with my prosthetic on accidentally the night before.

"And what time does the first meeting start?"

"6:30."

"Fuck," I mumbled. Niall pulled me into a standing position and I tiredly hugged him. "I missed you yesterday."

The other boys went home for the night. Liam offered to stay with me, since his family was on some sort of vacation.

And I didn't want to go back to Ireland.

"I missed you too, sleepy head. Now go get ready." Niall unwrapped me from the hug and gave me an encouraging push towards the stairs.

-

20 minutes later, I was walking out of my room. Louis walked out of his at the same time. We made awkward eye contact.

"How long is it going to be weird between us?" Louis blurted. I laughed and shrugged, walking past him.

"You tell me. You're the awkward one," I joked, flipping my hair over my shoulder and flashing him a playful smile.

"Right, whatever," Louis quipped back, smiling softly. He jogged to catch up with me and frowned when I sat on the railing. "You're going to fall, love."

"I've been doing this for months and I haven't fallen," I said, "and I thought you weren't calling me love anymore?"

"It suits you better than it suits El," Louis said simply. I blinked at him, waiting for further explanation. "I honestly have only called El that a few times. It's always been my name for you, it feels weird to say it to anyone else."

I hummed and slid down the banister.

Harry had texted me and told me business casual, which I had to look up the definition for.

I put on a pair of straight legged pants, a nice shirt, and a blazer over top. I put on a nice pair of sneakers as well.

"Could have worn heels," Harry quipped from the couch.

"Bold of you to assume I can walk in heels. Is anyone else ready?"

"Looks like only us three," Harry said, nodding to me and Louis, who was standing behind me.

"You can't walk in heels?" Louis asked.

"Uh, no? Why?"

"I don't know. I suppose if you could I wouldn't be able to do this," he shrugged, stepping forward a bit to put his forearm on my shoulder and use me as an arm rest. I laughed quietly and allowed it.

"Let's go! Niall, Zayn, we're going to be late!" Liam hollered from upstairs. His volume made me step an inch closer to Louis.

Somehow, even after everything, Louis was still the one person in the world who made me feel the safest and the most grounded.

And Louis knew that, of course he knew that, so he stepped closer to me as well.

Liam, Niall, and Zayn tromped downstairs a minute later.