SHE'S NOT AFRAID

[ONE WEEK LATER]

I stared at the therapist in front of me.

She stared back, waiting for an answer to her question.

"How far have I come?" I repeated back to her, skeptically.

The therapist, Sue, nodded. She was a middle aged woman with greying brown hair and a frown.

I hated her.

Well, hate was a strong word for a woman I just met.

I disliked her.

"You told me you let your brothers talk you into this because you don't want to be who you were before you met them. Who were you, and how far have you come?" she asked patiently.

"I don't-" I cut myself off, shaking my head.

I didn't know.

"Actually, wait. Let's go back to the beginning."

"When I met the boys?"

"No," She said, shaking her head, "tell me the earliest memory you have. Think about it for a second."

"I was four," I sighed, "and it was my birthday. The woman who was fostering me locked me in the closet. I was, like, in there overnight."

-

"You're a brat," The woman said. She shoved me into the hall closet and shut the door. I wiggled the doorknob, but it was stuck closed.

"I'm sorry, please let me out! It's scary in here! I'll be good, I promise!"

"You don't know how to be good, Kenni. You're more trouble than you're worth. Stop your crying, would you? You'll be back at the orphanage tomorrow."

-

"She was the first person to call me Kenni," I said, shaking my head.

"You don't go by Kenni anymore, you go by Mickey," Sue said. I nodded. "Why?"

"I was in the hospital after the accident with my leg. One of the nurses called me Mickey."

-
"Hey, Mickey. How are you feeling today?" Nurse Sasha asked. The nurse was the first one that treated me out of the ambulance the day before. She saw me into surgery and was there when I woke up without a leg.

I couldn't bring myself to speak to her.

"Still not up for talking? That's okay," Sasha said warmly. "I'm gonna go ahead and change your dressing now, alright?"

Sasha pulled the blanket off of my lap and I looked down at where my leg used to be. It was there the day before.

But now it was a stump wrapped in white gauze.

"You're not gonna want to look at this, Mickey," Sasha said. I looked away, towards the door. She unwrapped it and rewrapped it. I couldn't bring myself to see what it looked like. When she finished, she tucked the blanket under my lap.