thirty-eight - best song ever

[im too tired to be tough
i just want to be loved
by
you]

_______________________________

The next day was set up to be chaotic.

I had called Simon and told him I wanted to drop a single. He said I could go to the studio tomorrow, record and mix the entire song, and drop it at midnight.

Deadlines, he had said, help an artist grow and prosper.

However, when I was scared awake by a nightmare at 4:30 in the morning, I didn't feel like I was going to grow or prosper in the day ahead.

I padded downstairs into the kitchen and scooped a bowl of ice cream. Harry came down a few minutes after and chuckled softly.

"Why are you sitting on the floor eating ice cream at four in the morning?"

"I donno."

"You're weird," he giggled. "Smile, this is too precious not to post." I held up a peace sign and smiled big. Harry took a picture and then scooped his own bowl of ice cream and sat down next to me.

"Big day," he said, "you feeling nervous? Excited?"

"Yeah. I've never been in like an actual studio before," I said with a shrug. The studio we had in the house was amazing, high quality, all of that. But it was only ever me and the boys doing what we wanted and what we knew how to do.

Today there were going to be actual people telling me what I needed to do. It wasn't just going to be me writing songs on a guitar and in a notebook.

Today I was on to bigger things.

And I knew it was going to be a lot. That was all.

"It gets a little... hectic sometimes. You're a new artist so they're basically just going to be telling you what you should do. The guidance is good. But if you think they're wrong, you can say something. It's your song, you know? You're the only one who knows how it should sound."

"Right," I agreed, "so when I get back home, should we-"

"Let me stop you right there. We're going with you to the studio."

"Oh, you are?"

"You really think we would let you go alone?" Harry asked, nudging me. I shrugged, and then shook my head no.

I knew better.

I was going to have to start assuming the best out of these guys at some point. The best was almost always what I got.

"We're gonna leave in like 45 minutes. Finish your ice cream and wake up the boys, I'm going to head for a shower," Harry said, standing up from the floor.

I flashed him a thumbs up and watched him leave the kitchen.

As per request, I ate the ice cream.

Yesterday at the store Niall had picked up chocolate and strawberry, because I guess Louis remembered me saying in an interview that it was my favorite. I rinsed out the bowl and put it in the dishwasher, before sliding upstairs.

As I walked up the stairs, a rush of excitement hit me.

It was recording day!

I came to Louis' door first. I knocked first, not expecting an answer. There wasn't one. I opened the door and padded across the floor, not trying to be quiet. I turned the lamp next to his bed on.

"Do you remember when you woke me up on the last day of the tour yelling about how it was the last day of the tour?" I asked.

"Fuck off," Louis giggled, burring his head under the pillow.