thirty - i would

[never thought giving up
would be so hard
but god, i'm missing you and your
addictive heart]

________________________

I woke up from a dreamless sleep. My options were nightmares or no dreams. So when I woke up calm, and not frantic, I considered it good sleep.

I unplugged my phone and checked the time. 4:00 PM. I sat up, changed quickly, and ran downstairs. The boys were sitting on the couch, watching TV.

"It's 4:00?" I asked.

"Yeah," Liam said, checking his phone to make sure.

"Why did you let me sleep so late?" I asked, looking between them.

"It's not like you needed to be awake for any reason. You didn't miss much, except for saying goodbye to the girls," Harry said.

"But I-"

"You needed sleep, obviously. It's alright," Zayn said.

"I was supposed to work on-"

"You're grounded from that," Niall cut me off. I blinked in surprise.

"Huh?" I asked dumbly.

"You're grounded, no working on the album until your hand heals. I mean it," He said firmly.

"Don't you think I'm a little bit too old to be grounded?" I asked slowly.

"Nah," Niall said.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared him down. He shrugged and looked back to the television, away from me.

"Groun...ded..." I repeated, breaking up the syllables.

"Mhm," He said.

"Right..." I said, looking between all of the boys.

They weren't looking at me. I started tip toeing backwards towards the recording studio. I had almost gotten to the hallway, when Niall held his hand up in the air, grabbing my attention.

"Don't you dare," he laughed.

"Fine," I sighed. I walked up to the couch and jumped over the back, finding home between Louis and Zayn. Louis and I made eye contact, trying to figure out if it was okay for me to sit next to him like this. He shrugged, and then I shrugged, and we both looked at the TV.

We can sit next to each other and not be in love. We can exist in the same place and not be in love.

"Popcorn?" Zayn offered, tipping the bowl towards me.

"I'm good, Lou?"

Louis reached over my lap to grab a handful. His hand brushed my leg and I had to close my eyes and shake off the sparks that I felt. He looked at me and furrowed his eyebrows sadly. He knew what he had done. I pulled my mouth into smile, which was more or less just a straight line.

He did the same.

-

"We should get Nando's tonight!" Niall suggested. The six of us were huddled in the kitchen, trying to figure out our plans for dinner.

My head cocked to the side.

"You've never had Nandos?" Louis asked, noticing my confusion. I shook my head no.

"No bloody way!" Harry said. "You've lived with us for six months and never had Nandos?"

"No? What's the big deal?"