Chapter 35: Touched Hands

Cheng Juan did not speak.

He looked towards the milk tea store, eyes clear and slightly narrowed. It wasn't clear what he was thinking.

Lu Zhaoying repeated himself, thinking that he wasn't listening.

Only then did Cheng Juan turn towards him, brows furrowed. "Who's he?"

Lu Zhaoying was speechless. He missed the point!

Cheng Juan hung his head lower with the cigarette in his mouth. "The huge murder case three years back, Boss Xu was around."

Lu Zhaoying was stunned and confused. "What have you found?"

"Speculation." Cheng Juan puffed a ball of smoke as his eyes deepened. "Boss Xu isn't that sympathetic. Something's been off since he arrived at Ninghai Village."

"So, regarding the successor..." Lu Zhaoying looked up all of a sudden.

Cheng Juan smiled. "Two possibilities. One, it's a smokescreen. Given Boss Xu's status and background, even if he does have a successor in mind, it's not likely that he'd pass it on to an outsider at the expense of the Xu family's interests.

"Two, there actually is a successor that he's willing to give up huge interests for. He made the move to look for us and even mentioned it. He's probably asking for my help. If this is the case, the capital city might undergo reshuffling, and by then this 'successor' might not even make it out of it."

"It indeed is much easier to keep someone alive in the Cheng family than in the Xu family." Lu Zhaoying hadn't thought of this point; he'd never been good at deducing such complex issues. He smiled. "Then, something's wrong with this. Qin Ran should be that lucky survivor. Boss Xu couldn't possibly have his eyes on someone like her, right?"

Cheng Juan did not respond. There was still a key point he couldn't figure out.

What role did Qin Ran play exactly in all of this?

It was very odd that someone like Boss Xu would personally give a student a recommendation letter.

He puffed some more smoke and looked towards the milk tea store. "If he really has his eye on someone as a successor, things are going to change drastically."

Considering Boss Xu's status, Lu Zhaoying only just realized how important this matter was.

He looked up as if wanting to say something more, but saw that Cheng Juan had already entered the store.

It was the weekend, but the store wasn't especially crowded. Qin Ran had Wei Ziheng wait by the side.

She placed a cup of milk tea on the table and smelt a familiar refreshing scent with hints of peppermint.

She looked up and saw Cheng Juan with one hand on the bar counter. He was tall and often had to look down at people. Even with his default expression, his gaze carried an air of oppression.

He looked at the long list of menu items and furrowed his brows. It was evident that he hadn't drunk from such stores before. "Give me a cup of something nice."

He took his card out to swipe for payment.

Qin Ran looked at it and guessed that Master Cheng had probably never lived like a normal human being. Everyone either paid with cash or by digital payment, who would use a limited edition card for such a small amount?

She pressed his hand down. "It's on me."

Cheng Juan did not respond to that. He simply looked down at his hand and her fair, slender fingers. She had a beautiful hand, except that her fingers were not much cared for.