(18) dad?

"i'm sorry for ruining the moment"

"What?" Kenzie, Grayson, and their mother nearly screamed as they heard what Nate had just said. Luis and their father looked at the four of them confused, considering neither of them knew about Nate's past with his father.

"What did he want?" Kenzie asked as she stepped closer to Nate, wrapping her arms tightly around him. His body was tense but he felt himself relax in his best friend's arms.

"Everyone to the table," Their mother said, pointing toward the dining room. Everyone listened to her and made their way toward the table. Once everyone was seated, Nate continued with his story.

"I didn't recognize the number so I left the room to answer," Nate explained. "He told me who it was and I froze, I couldn't even speak. He then just kept talking and told me how he wanted to see me. I just told him that I would let him know when I was available. He told me how much he missed me and tried talking to me about hockey but I lied and said I was on my way to practice."

"Oh, god," Their mother said as she rested her head in her hands, taking a deep breath. Kenzie definetly didn't see this coming since Nate's father hasn't spoken to him since his mom died and she definetly wasn't expecting to have a family meeting with her entire family and Luis that night.

"You can't see him," Grayson spoke up, his voice firm. "Their is no way in hell we are going to let you see that guy."

Their mother and Kenzie nodded in agreement while their father and Luis just looked at each other confused.

"His dad is awful," Kenzie said as she turned to Luis, keeping her statement simple. "I won't go into detail. That's Nate's story to tell."

"Nate you have to block his number," Their mom said. "I know he is your father but I promised your mother I would protect you. He's dangerous and not good for you."

Nate nodded his head in agreement and Kenzie could see the tears building up in his eyes. She leaned across the table and grabbed his hand, gently squeezing it to reassure him everything was okay.

"What did you have to tell us mom?" Grayson asked her. Kenzie nearly forgot she had something to tell them. She watched as her mother's mood changed from worried to upset.

"Your cousin is moving in with us," Their mother stated, almost as if it was normal. The three teens looked at each other confused.

"Em?" Kenzie asked her mother who just simply nodded at her.

Emercyn was Kenzie and Grayson's cousin who lived in California and was the same age as them. The three of them, and Nate, were actually really close when they were younger and when Em lived in Minnesota. She moved out to California with her mother, their mom's sister, shortly after her parents divorced when they were only nine. None of them had seen her since.