(34) life and death

"liv?"

"liv?"

Luis, Kenzie, Em, Nadia, and Nate walked down hospital hallway toward Grayson's room. It was Monday after school and Nadia was finally released from the hospital. The first thing she wanted to do was see Grayson and everyone else were already going to visit anyway.

Kenzie was still in pain and still equally afraid. Afraid of Nate's father and afraid of how Grayson was doing. There was no new updates, everything was still the same. She knew it was only two days since he first went into his coma but she was still scared. She just wanted her brother back.

The room was dead silent went they entered beside the slight beeping sound coming from the machine that Grayson was hooked up one. Each teenager took their turn saying hi to Grayson even if he wasn't awake, either hugging him it just squeezing his hand.

Kenzie went last and the second that Luis backed away, she gently laid her head on her brother's chest and held him lightly. He was a pain in the ass and was always annoying Kenzie somehow but she didn't know what she would do without her over-protective, caring, slightly older, twin brother. She would be lost if he didn't make it.

She shook her head as she felt tears falling down from her eyes. She couldn't think that way because Grayson was going to make it. She knew how strong he was and she knew he was fighting. He wasn't going to leave her just yet.

She sighed as she squeezed him a little before lifting her head from his chest. She grabbed his hand and just held it for a couple seconds. She stared at her sleeping brother, her heart aching with each passing second.

She squeezed his hand one last time before pulling away but she didn't get the chance to. The second she moved her hand, he grabbed it.

He actually grabbed her hand.

She gasped in shock. She wasn't expecting him to grab her hand and it all happened to fast she barely knew what was happening. He was holding her hand so tight that she couldn't even move it, she didn't want to.

She turned to her friends who were staring at her confused since they didn't see what had happened.

"He grabbed my hand," She whispered in shock as everyone immediately gathered closer around Grayson's hospital bed.

"Gray?" Kenzie whispered as she stared at her twin, who had bandages wrapped around his head and stitches on random spots of his face. Her heart was beating fast as she watched his bruised eyes flutter open.

She went wide eyed as she realized her brother was actually awake. He was awake! He squinted his eyes as they adjusted to the bright light of his hospital room. He looked around at the people hovering over him with a confused look. His eyes landed on Kenzie and he furrowed his brows in confusion.

"Damn Kenz," He said with a raspy voice. "You look like shit."

She let out a laugh even though she was crying. She didn't care that the first thing he said after waking up from a coma was a insult, she was just happy to see him awake. She let out a sob as she threw her arms around him but this time, he actually wrapped his arms around her too.

He let out a groan of pain from Kenzie's intense hug but she did not once pull away and he was happy she didn't.

"I'm so happy you are okay," Kenzie said as she pulled away. He smiled at her before she stepped away from him so everyone else could see him. She watched everyone who loved and cared about him hug and say hi to him. She watched them all with a smile on her face.

She was so happy to have her brother back.

***

"Do you guys think he's dead?" Em asked the group randomly. The five teenagers were hanging out in Kenzie's room that day after spending a few hours with Grayson. They were still practically locked inside the house, none of them really wanting to leave or be by themselves.

"Yeah," Nadia was the first one to speak up. "I mean it makes sense."

Kenzie gulped as she snuggled closer to Luis' side who protectively had his arm wrapped around her as they sat on her bed. It freaked her out knowing there was a chance Ryan wasn't coming home alive. It freaked her out because then she knew what Nate's dad was capable of, and nothing scared her more.

Kenzie's phone ringed which made everyone jump in fear. She quickly sat up and grabbed her phone. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she looked down at the contact.

"Liv?" She asked into the phone and instantly all of her friends gathered around.

"Kenz," She heard her say back. Her voice sounded as if she was crying and the sounds of the wind indicated she was outside.

"What's wrong?" She asked concerned.

"Meet me at the lake we went to last summer," She said. "It's Ryan."

***

The group of teenagers rushed out of their cars and quickly jogged through the parking lot. There were police cars and ambulances surrounding the entrance to the trail, the trail that leads directly to the lake.

The five teenagers jogged down the trail fast, trying to find Liv. As they reached the lake, there was yellow caution tape blocking off people from going into the lake. Liv stood there watching the lake as Ryan's parents cried beside her.

"Liv?" Kenzie called out, grabbing the attention of Liv. Her eyes were red and puffy and her makeup was running slightly down her face. Liv instantly wrapped her arms around Kenzie, holding her tightly. "What the hell happened?"

Kenzie's question was answered as she watched the scene over Liv's shoulder. There were police officers standing over a body that was sprawled out on the ground next to the lake. The body wasn't just any body, it was the body of her ex-boyfriend. She went wide eyed as she watched them zip the body bag they placed him in. His body was soaking wet as she watched until his body disappeared beneath the bag.

"Oh my god!" Ryan's mother screamed out. Kenzie turned her head to see the woman on her knees as her husband held her close as she called out for her dead son. Even if they were horrible, shady people, Kenzie still felt awful.

Her friends gathered around her as she held onto Liv's sobbing body. An officer approached them with a sad expression.

"What happened?" Nate asked, fearful of what his father did.

The officer sighed, "Well it looks like someone shot him in the head and dumped the body in this lake but we won't be sure of what happened until we get some tests done."

Everyone remained quiet as Liv's sobs got louder before the officer walked away.

Nate's dad was a murderer and god knows who could be next.