(49) no more fear

"you saved us tonight"

Kenzie sat in the waiting room of the hospital with Em, Charlie, Connie, and Nadia. The group of teens was still dressed in their Halloween costumes as they waited for their friends and families. Nate, Grayson, and Luis were brought back to the hospital to be treated when cops showed up to the scene.

After the Madi shot Nate's dad, only ten minutes went by before cops were flooding the fifth floor of the abandon office building. At first, she had no idea who had the time to call the cops after all that chaos but her questions were soon answered.

Madi and a tall man dressed in a black suit, her father, were walking down the hallway of the hospital. That's when it clicked, Madi's dad was a detective. She nearly forgot about that. Behind the father and daughter were Mikey and Brook rushing in.

Kenzie stood up with a smile and held her arms out for her friends. They smiled before they crashed into her arms, pulling her into one of the tightest group hugs she had ever experienced. She was laughing and groaning at the same.

"We were so worried about you guys," Brook said with a pout as they pulled away. "How are the boys? Are they okay?"

"They'll be just fine," Kenzie said with a smile. "They got beat up pretty bad but nothing serious. They'll be able to go home tonight."

Brook and Mikey smiled at her before Brook was running over toward Nadia to give her a hug, Mikey following close behind. Kenzie looked over at Madi and her father, the two girls smiling at each other. Kenzie walked over and wrapped her arms tightly around the girl. She knew they had a rocky past but in the end, she saved them.

"Thank you," Kenzie whispered as she laid her head on her shoulder. She felt Madi sigh as she wrapped her arms around Kenzie.

"I'm so sorry Kenz," She whispered back. "For everything. I got caught up in some stupid things and I feel awful about it."

"Yeah but you fixed it," Kenzie said as she pulled back, giving her a reassuring smile. "You saved us tonight."

Madi smiled at her, "You save me, Kenz. I know that sounds weird but you were the reason I changed. You made me believe that I could be a better person and I could have a better life. You saved me first, tonight was my thank you."

Kenzie smiled brightly at the girl before she wrapped her arms around her again, making Madi laugh. Madi wrapped her arms around Kenzie, both of them at ease. Even after all of this drama and pain, the two of them were happy the other was alive and well.

"Go check on Luis," Madi said as they pulled apart. "He needs you right now."

Kenzie smiled and nodded, "Okay, I will. Thank you again, Madi."

"I got your back Kenz," She said with a smile.

"And I got yours," Kenzie said with a wink before she turned toward her father. "Bye Mr. Martin! Thank you for the help tonight!"

"Anytime!" He said as the two of the waved to each other. Kenzie walked down the hallway and turned right. She turned into Luis' room where he was all alone. He was shirtless, still putting on his clothes after being examined. There were bruises scattered along his tone stomach, big purple ones sprawled out across the space right near his ribs. Kenzie's heart broke at the sight of her boyfriend beaten so badly.

"Like the view?" She heard Luis' teasing voice. She looked up and saw him smirking at her as he quickly threw a shirt on. She smiled softly at him as she examined the black eye he had, the scratches that were scattered all over his beautiful face, and the huge cut that was stitched up on his bottom list.

"How do you feel?" She asked as he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"I'll survive," He joked, making Kenzie roll her eyes as she slapped his chest lightly. "I have two broken ribs and had to get stitches. Besides that I feel fine."

"It's all over now," Kenzie said as she laid her head on his chest. "No more fear."

"I love you, Kenz," He said as he lifted her chin up. She smiled up at him, her heart beating faster.

"I love you, too Luis," She said in a soft voice. She stood on her tip toes and gently placed her lips on his, making sure to be careful of the stitches on his bottom lip. He pulled her closer to him, deepening their kiss. She smiled, happy everything was okay again.

"And the lovebirds are back!" They heard from the doorway, making them both jump back in shock. They turned to see Nate leaning against the doorway with a smirk, stitches right above his eyebrow and a smirk.

"We were never gone?" Kenzie said with a questioning look as she laughed at her best friend.

"Yeah, yeah but it's been awhile since I've had to sadly watch you guys suck each other's faces off," Nate said with a shrug as he laughed, making Kenzie lightly punch him in the arm.

"We're not even that bad," Luis said with a smile as he wrapped his arm around Kenzie's shoulder.

"Yeah, we could be worse," Kenzie said as she slowly leaned in toward Luis.

"Okay! Okay! I'm sorry!" Nate nearly shouted as he covered his eyes, making the couple laugh. Kenzie was happy and really relieved to have Nate back. She missed him more than he knew and she was glad to know everyone was finally okay.

"Everything has been taken care of," A voice said from behind Nate, making everyone jump. They all settled down when they saw Grayson standing at the door ready to go with Nadia in his arms. "I just talked to Madi's dad and they said that Lola and Riley are currenty being questioned. They'll probably be charged, might be put away for a couple years since they attempted murder."

Nate's face fell at the mention of her name and Kenzie noticed instantly. She walked over and wrapped her arms around him.

"It's not your fault, Nate," She whispered into his ear. "I love you."

He sighed as he relaxed into her embrace, "I love you, too Kenz."