(43) the note

"i think lola has something to do with this"

"Mackenzie Rose Palmer! Are you messing with me right now!" Em nearly screamed as she sat down in front of her cousin. Kenzie sighed as she adjusted the cute pink cowgirl hat that was on her head.

She was sitting on her bed as she told Em, Luis, Charlie, Grayson, Nadia, and Connie about the note she had found on the kitchen table the night before. All of them were dressed up and ready for Rick Riley's Halloween party but she knew she had to tell them about the creepy note first.

"Why didn't you tell us last night?" Luis asked as he held the note in his hand. "Why did you wait till now to call a meeting?"

"I think Lola has something to do with this," She blurted out. Everyone stared at her confused which made her sigh with annoyance. "She was here last night and so was this note. Nate's dad couldn't have put that in here. We lock every door and every window now and I'm pretty sure we would have seem something wrong if he forced his way into the house."

"It actually makes a lot of sense," Nadia said with a nod. "It could explain why she is so weird toward all of us, especially Kenzie."

"Yeah but maybe she is just an insecure, control freak," Grayson said as eh shrugged. "I mean we should still be careful around her just in case but don't think too much into this."

"Yeah, Kenz," Connie said as she wrapped her arm around her shoulders. "Everything will be okay. Don't let her or him ruin your night tonight. Let's go get drunk and have fun!"

Kenzie let out a laugh but nodded her head, "Let's do this thing!"

"That's my girl!" Connie said with excitement. Kenzie and Connie both jumped off the bed at the same time, ready to get to the party. Kenzie was dressed in a pink crop top with jean shorts with her pink cowgirl hat with her fake gun that was sparkling with gems that she did herself. Luis was dressed in jeans with a red shirt along with his black cowboy hat.

Kenzie stood up and faced Luis, wrapping his arms around his neck. He smiled happily as he wrapped his around her waist.

"Are you sure everything will be okay tonight?" He whispered to her, his tone serious. She smiled and nodded before leaning up to place a kiss on his lips.

"Of course it will be, bub," She said against his lips as they pulled away. He sighed happily and nodded, grabbing her hand and pulling her out the door behind everyone else. The group made their way down the stairs and into the living room where Nate, Lola, and her parents were.

Her breath hitched in her throat when she saw Lola's costume. She was a bunny but a scary one, just like Kenzie was freshman year. The costumes weren't just similar, it was the same exact costume.

"That mask is literally so scary," Kenzie said as she visibly cringed at her twin brother as she walked hand-in-hand with Ryan. The group was walking down the street, making their way toward their high school. "Why did you choose that of all things?"

"Hey! You choose a dead bunny! That's even more weird," He said as he made dramatic hand gestures, making everyone laugh.

"Oh, stop being such a dram queen, Gray," Nate said as he rolled his eyes and playfully punched him in the arm. "The whole dead bunny concept is way better than the weird zombie mask."

"Oh my god!" Grayson groaned in annoyance as he threw his head back, snatching the mask off of his face in the process.

"So are we going to Matt's afterparty after this lame dance?" Ryan asked with a laugh, making Kenzie gulp. Kenzie wasn't one to party or drink, she never really thought it was fun. She didn't think the school dance was lame, she was actually excited to go with her new boyfriend and her new friends.

"Hell yeah!" Grayson said as he held out his hand. Ryan laughed as he gave him a high five with the hand that wasn't holding his girlfriend's. Nate and Kenzie exchanged nervous glances, both of them feeling the same way. They would rather just go home and watch a scary movie instead of hanging around a bunch of drunk teens.

"Do we really have to go?" Kenzie asked her boyfriend and her brother. "We could always just go home and watch Halloween."

"Come on, Kenz," Ryan said as he nudged her before he whispered to her. "Don't embarrass me. We have to go, you're going."

She went wide eyed, suddenly feeling sick. Ryan never made her do anything but in that moment, she was shocked. She nodded her head slowly, regretting that she didn't stick up for herself.

"Hey, you alright?" Luis asked, making Kenzie snap out of her thoughts. She nodded her head at him before she turned her head toward her brother, who was looking at her with a confused look. She shrugged her shoulders and walked over to the couple.

"Cute costume," Kenzie said with sarcasm as she crossed her arms over her chest. Nate scoffed and rolled his eyes at her presence but she chose to ignore him. Lola nearly glared before she replaced it with a bright smile.

"Oh my god, thanks!" She said with fake enthusiasm. "I had so much inspiration behind it!"

"Yeah, I bet you did," Kenzie said with a glare as she looked the girl up and down.

"Stop being so rude, Kenzie," Nate said with annoyance as he grabbed onto his girlfriend's hand.

"First thing you say to me in days," She said as she rolled her eyes. "Best friend of the year award."

"Shut up," He spat back. "You're one to talk!"

"Alright! Alright!" Their father said as he stepped in between them. "Stop fighting you two! Let's just get going, you guys don't want to be late!"

Kenzie nodded as she grabbed Luis' hand and followed her father out to the car since he was driving the kids to the party. Their dad was actually okay with what was going to happen that night, the whole drinking part, and offered to drive them and pick them up without telling their mother about what they were doing.

"Thanks for the ride, dad," She said as they all walked down the driveway. "Remember that Connie and Luis are staying the night!"

"I didn't forget!" He said with a smile as he got into the driver's seat.

"Are you sure this is a good idea, my love?" Luis asked as he opened the door for her.

She smiled and leaned up to kiss his cheek, "Everything will be fine, bub."