(35) the funeral

"i'm not gonna let anything happen to you"

Kenzie sat in her bed all by herself early that morning. She was waiting for everyone to arrive at her house so they could leave for the funeral. She didn't really want to go his funeral but at the same time she felt bad. Even if he was an asshole to her and made her life a living hell, he was murdered.

She still couldn't believe that Nate's dad was the one who killed him, it just blew her mind. She never thought Nate's alcoholic and abusive father would turn out to be a killer.

A soft knock came from her door which made her jump. Everyone was jumpy nowadays, it was scary knowing there was a killer on the lose.

"Come in," She called out and the door swung open. Luis and Grayson stood in the doorway dressed in suits with soft smiles on their faces. Grayson was finally discharged the day before the funeral and was more than excited to get the hell out of that stupid hospital.

"Mom said we're leaving in five," Grayson said before he waved and left, leaving the two lovers behind. Kenzie stood up and fixed her black dress before walking to Luis and hugging him tightly.

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to you," Luis whispered softly as he held Kenzie. He placed a kiss on the top of her head, making her smile softly.

"I don't know what I would do with myself if you got hurt," She admitted as they pulled apart. Luis' heart broke at the tears that brimmed her eyes. He leaned down and kissed her cheek.

"Nothing is going to happen to anyone, okay?" He asked as he held out his hand to her. She smiled with a quick nod before placing her hand in his. The two teenagers walked down the stairs hand-in-hand.

The living room was filled with everyone. Emercyn sat next to Charlie on the couch who's arm was wrapped around her shoulders, Nate was speaking to their mother, Grayson stood with his arms wrapped around Nadia, and their father was speaking with Mikey and Brooklyn. As they entered the room, everyone's eyes turned toward them.

"You guys ready?" Their mother asked. Kenzie nodded as she held onto Luis' hand tighter. Kenzie hated funerals, she had only been to a couple in her life but they were never fun. She was nervous to be attending the funeral of her murdered ex-boyfriend that was killed by her best friend's dad. She just knew something would go wrong.

The group made their way out to their cars. Luis held Kenzie close, never wanting to leave her side. He didn't want anything else to happen to her, he wasn't going to allow it.

***

Kenzie stepped into the large church and almost immediately wanted to turn back around. It was packed with people but that was expected. Everyone was there, the principal of their school, people who attended their old school, Ryan's football team and coach, all of the ducks and coach, and more random people Kenzie had never seen before.

She knew many people who come to his funeral, Ryan was loved. He was the quarterback with rich parents that every girl fell for and every guy wanted to be. They didn't know the real Ryan, they didn't know the reason why he was dead.

"I'm going to see Liv," Kenzie whispered to Luis. He nodded hesitantly and kissed her forehead before walking over to the row filled with the ducks team and their coach. Kenzie sighed before she walked over to Liv, who was speaking with Ryan's old football coach. She looked over at her and smiled sadly before turning back to the man to say goodbye.

"Hi, Kenz," Liv whispered before Kenzie pulled her into a hug. Liv looked so hurt and sad, it made Kenzie's heart ache.

"Hi, Livvy," She whispered back as they pulled away from each other. Liv looked at her and let out a small sob.

"I know he was an asshole who did awful things," She started as Kenzie rubbed her arm to comfort her. "But he was my brother and he used to not be like that."

"Sometimes I feel like I caused all of this," Kenzie said which made Liv furrow her eyebrows in confusion. "If I never broke up with him none of this would have happened."

"Don't say that," Liv said as she pointed at her. "This is none of your fault. Ryan got himself into this whole mess because he was an asshole. He changed this past year, he really did, and that had nothing to do with you."

Kenzie sighed with a nod before hugging her again, "I'm going to go back to Luis."

"Tell them I said hi," She said as they pulled away. Kenzie smiled with a nod before turning around to walk back to the row. She sighed as she took a seat next to Luis at the end of the row.

The church went quiet as a priest walked in, grabbing the attention of everyone in the room.

"Today we are here to honor the life of Ryan Arquette," The priest said with a sad smile as he motioned for Liv. "Before we begin this mass, I would like to invite Olivia up to speak about her younger brother."

Kenzie watched as Liv stood from her seat with a paper clutched close to her chest. The priest guided her over to a small podium. Liv set the paper down as she looked up at the filled church, she then looked back down at her paper and cleared her throat.

"Ryan and I used to be very close," She began, her voice shaking slightly. "Before I graduated, we spent so much time together. Even though he was my younger brother, we did everything together. He was more than just my baby brother back then, he was a best friend."

Kenzie tried to pay attention to the eulogy Liv was giving but she just couldn't. She felt weird and uncomfortable, like something wasn't right. Her stomach was in knots and she found it hard to breathe.

It felt like someone was watching her, almost like they were burning holes into the back of her head.

She hesitantly turned around to face the back of the church. Just as she did, she saw a person quickly move away from peaking around the corner of the door. Her breathing hitched in her throat, she knew who was there.

hey guys, so ik i haven't really been posting as much as i wish i could. i haven't really had motivation and haven't been in a good place mentally but i'm working on it and i'm even writing a new chapter as i write this so i hope to be back to writing how i usually do very soon💖