(39) minnehaha falls

""whenever i'm with you, i feel completely safe"

"When can I know where we're going?" Kenzie asked as she leaned back in the passenger seat of Luis' car. Luis told her he had a surprise for her and apparently everyone knew about it but her. Em dressed her up in a cute pair of jeans and a pink sweater with converse but she still didn't know what it was all for.

Luis laughed a little as he turned to her for a second, "I told you it's a surprise, Kenz."

"The last time you had a surprise for me, I thought Grayson was going to kill me!" She said sarcastically, making Luis laughed harder. She looked at him with pleading eyes but all he did was shake his head and turn his attention back toward the road.

She groaned in frustration and leaned her head against the window, watching the world go by. The last surprise was being asked to homecoming, she could only imagine what else he had planned for her.

He rested his hand on her thigh, making her smile over at him. She found it so crazy that Luis could make her feel so safe. She never had that sense of security when she was with someone besides her brother.

She looked over at him again when she noticed they were completely leaving their small town and heading toward the city. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and tried to think of places he could be taking her.

"Are you okay?" Luis randomly asked, making Kenzie snap out of her thoughts and look over at him confused.

"Yeah, I'm fine," She said, wondering if she seemed upset or angry. "Why do you ask?"

"Just the whole thing with Ryan and Nate's dad. I wanted to see if you were okay," He told her, the genuine concern showing in his voice. She smiled sweetly at him. He asked her that question, if she was okay and safe, at least twice a day.

"I promise I'm fine," She told him truthfully. "Whenever I'm with you, I feel completely safe."

"You do?" He asked with excitement in his voice and a bright smile. She couldn't help but laugh at him for being so giddy over a simple statement.

"Of course, I do," She said with a smile as she picked up his hand from her lap. She intertwined their fingers and lifted his hand up to her lips, placing a soft kiss on his knuckles. "I know you wouldn't let anything happen to me."

"Damn right, my love," He said with a smile that made her heart beat fast. If he wasn't driving, she would have kissed him right then and there. She felt her cheeks heat up from the nickname he had given her, it always made her feel happy whenever he called her it.

They sat in silence, their hands folded together in her lap as they drove into the city. She smiled to herself as she watched the many people, buildings, and things pass by her as they drove through the streets.