(48) one last time

"he's dead,"

"he's dead,"

The drive from the woods to the abandoned office building was only fifteen minutes but it felt so much longer. The group parked outside of the eerie building. Charlie turned to Nate who was sitting in the back seat.

"Someone has to stay with Nate," Charlie stated and everyone nodded in agreement, beside Nate. "We can't let him go in there and get even more hurt."

"I love you Nate but I have to go in there and get Gray," Nadia said as she laid a hand on his shoulder. He nodded, understanding she had to go get her boyfriend.

"I'll stay with Nate," Connie said. "I promise I won't let anything happen to us."

Kenzie and Charlie looked at each other and nodded. Kenzie turned around and gave Nate a hug before she was rushing out of the car with Charlie, Em, and Nadia doing the same. Her heart was pounding against her chest as the group rushed over to the entrance to the building.

"What if the doors locked?" Charlie said as he looked through the glass doors and into the dark and eerie building. Kenzie stepped forwrad and grabbed the handle, ready to pull as hard as she could. She jerked the door and it opened with ease, sending her tiny body back into Charlie's chest. She looked over at her friends with wide eyes, the door was unlocked.

"He's waiting for us," Kenzie said as she stared into the darkness. "What floor do you think they're on?"

The building wasn't huge, maybe five stories high, but the group didn't have any time to waste. They needed to get in there, get the boys, and get the hell out. There was no time for playing games.

Kenzie felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She quickly got the phone out and looked down to see who had texted her. It was Nate.

5

The fifth floor! They were on the fifth floor. She turned back toward the car and saw Nate through the window. He smiled and gave her a thumbs up, she knew she had gotten it right. She smiled with a nod, a thank you for the help, and turned on her heels to go to the fifth floor.

They opened the door quietly and one-by-one stepped into the cold, dark, and eerie building. Kenzie turned to the group and held up five fingers, making everyone nod.

The feeling Kenzie had as she walked quietly through the dark building was something she never wanted to experience again. She was full of fear that something had happened to her brother and boyfriend, worried about leaving Connie and Nate all by themselves, and scared someone else she cared about would be hurt in this mess.

The main floor of the building was completely empty, the only light in the room was coming from the moon through one of the huge windows. They quieted walked together toward the back of the huge room.

In a small hallway off to the left, they had found three elevators and in the middle of those elevators was a single door with the word stairs written on it in bold, black letters.