Chapter 5

Lorenzo's POV

"We really got them, brother?" Marco asked impatiently.

"Yes, we did, they are in the basement," Dante confirmed.

"What are we waiting for? Let's kill those bastards." Romeo said with gritted teeth.

"Trust me, I want to kill them as much as you all. But remember they were mere pawns in this entire conspiracy. Who we need is the Mastermind. We have to get the name of the person behind this and these motherfuckers are going to get us that name." I reminded them calmly but there was war raging inside me.

"Mastermind or not. They killed our mother. There's no way I'm going easy on them." Marco said, gritting his teeth. 

"Those sons of bitches have no idea what's coming for them." Matteo chuckled darkly.

I was 18 when Papa left us and I had to take over as the Capo. I appointed Dante, who is now 24, as my adviser and my right hand man since he was the most patient and rational of all my brothers. Romeo, who is 22, was the most impatient and hot-headed amongst us, but also a brilliant marksman. The twins, Marco and Matteo, are 20. Marco, or now well-known as Blade, as the name suggests, was excellent with knives. Matteo was the tech guy, an exceptional hacker. We were a package, everyone had certain atypical talents. But we weren't born with these qualities. We developed them, with sheer perseverance, and determination. Ever since the incident, our one and only goal was Revenge. To find those bastards and erase them from the face of earth. The only thing we got handed to us was money, respect and loyalty, which was earned by our father.

When we first started training, it was hard, getting up after repeated beatings. There were times when Marco and Matteo, being the youngest, couldn't take it anymore and wanted to give up. But Romeo and his hot-headedness never allowed him to admit defeat. The twins looked up to him, he inspired them to stand up even if they stumbled over and over again. And Dante and I, we knew what we had laying ahead of us. Eventually, we discovered our strengths and honed them to perfection. None of us were gifted, but the people like to believe so since we come from money. I would say we were just blessed to have proper guidance and people we could still trust. 

'The DeLuca Brothers,' they called us now. The name was enough to make people shit their pants.

We spent 13 years training and fighting to achieve this vicious and terrifying image that we've created in the minds of the people in Italy. We had been preparing to wage the war of revenge for so many years.
And today, it felt like our struggles didn't go waste. Today was the beginning of the end; end of the people who ruined our family.

As we entered the basement, I motioned my men to leave us alone.
I walked further into the place to get a better look at our prey.

There were three of them. Wrists and ankles chained to the poles on their either sides. Naked and beat up.

All of them looked up as we slowly approached them. Fear evident in their  swollen and blackened eyes.

They are terrified as they should be.

This made me smile darkly.
"Now what have we got here?" I chuckled maliciously at them.

"P-please, leave us, w-we were just following orders," one of them begged.

"I see." I replied putting my hands in my pockets and slowly walking to the middle one who was staring at me.
"I'm guessing you are the main guy here and these two are just your minions."
He remained silent.

"Let's get straight to the point. Which one of you slit my mother's throat?"

This time no one even looked up.
I turned around towards my brothers.
"They need your attention,  my dear brothers."
The boys grinned at them.

"Let's play a game, shall we?" I suggested.

"Matteo, go get our tools," Romeo said maliciously looking at the three of them.
"I call this game, 'You Scream, You Die.'" I saw them gulp with anxiety.

"Now, let me explain this little game to y'all. There are some interesting tools that will be kept in front of you. You have to choose one of them. Romeo, Marco and Matteo here, will use a tool of your choice on you. You will be asked to answer some of my questions. If you answer, they'll be generous enough to give only a slight sting. If you do not answer, the level of pain and torture will increase. Now remember not to scream. All you have to do is Answer and Not Scream. If you scream, you're dead meat. Easy? Let's begin." And with that, I went to sit on the sofa placed directly in front of them.

Matteo laid the tools in front of them.
"Choose!", Romeo voice boomed. And they did, trembling with fear. One chose a knife, another a hammer, and the main guy chose an iron rod.

"Let me start with the easiest. Which one of you killed our mother?" I asked one of them calmly.
He looked at the others but did not answer.
Romeo hammered one nail in the palm of that guy, which resulted in a bloodcurdling scream from him.
I shook my head at him and chuckled.

"You didn't answer AND you screamed." I looked over at Dante who was standing by my side.
He nodded, taking it as a que, pulled out his gun.

Bang!

Right in the middle of his forehead.
Romeo laughed, "Impressive shot brother."
"The same question goes for you", I said pointing towards the guy who chose a knife.
"Who killed my mother?"
He gulped. For a split second he looked towards the guy I guessed was their leader. But then, looking at his dead partner, he answered, "H-he did."

"Did you think we are fools?" I cocked my head to one side. "Marco."

Marco stepped forward playing with his sharp toy.

"No! Wait!" He yelled in panic and nodded towards the other guy. "He's the one who slit her throat. Gab and I, we w-were just holding them d-down."
"Them?" I looked at him questioningly.
"T-The little girl and her m-mother."
Romeo let out a growl at the mention of Ava.

"You dared to touch our Sorellina? You touched our mother with these filthy hands. You will PAY." With that said, Marco chopped his writs off. Uncomfortable piercing screams filled the basement. But nothing new for our ears. The man fell to the ground unconscious with pain and blood loss.

At the mention of Ava, I lost my cool. I got up and strode towards the last guy hanging by the chains.

"Game over. Now you better answer my questions or you get tortured endlessly," I said in a low voice gripping his throat.

"What. Did. You. Do. To. Our. Sister?" No response. "ANSWER ME!"

"N-Nothing! I swear! We didn't hurt her." He replied in croaked voice. 

"Then where is she?" I growled.

"I-I don't know, w-we were just told to kidnap her."

"On whose orders?!"

"I-I don't -"

Smack! Smack! Smack!

I punched his face. "Marco, chop off his fingers."

"No! W-wait! I'll tell you!"

Romeo chuckled, "See? Wasn't so hard now, was it?"

"It was R-Ricci!"
All of us looked at each other with shock.

"It was Ignazzio Ricci!"