Chapter 59

Lorenzo's POV

It's been almost a month since we returned back to Italy. I still remember, the day when I'd almost lost her all over again. Finishing our duties here in Italy, I was on our private jet heading back to my baby sister, to surprise her, when I got the call from them. My stomach twisted into knots the moment I heard she was gone. All kinds of horrible thoughts went through my mind. Romeo just lost it. He got so agitated, he almost assualted the pilot for flying too slow. Dante, who used to be the most patient one of all, looked like he would destroy every thing and every person that would come in his way. We, the Mafia Brothers, the entire world was scared of, had fear written all over their faces. And why wouldn't we be? Our hope, our lifeline was missing. She had our hearts, our senses, all wrapped in her little fingers since the day she came into our lives. After being snatched away from us for so many years, we had found our Sorellina. Of course, we were scared! 

When we reached the location Matteo had sent us, there were bodies of men laying for our welcome. And then my eyes first found Arthur Hunt. Even being beat up bloody, he managed to take both the twin girls down. As I started to charge towards him when I saw him raise up the gun, with a malicious smile. 

"If I'm going down, I'll take you with me, sweetcheeks." He grinned to himself, pointing the gun straight ahead of him. My eyes ran from the tip of the gun to his target. 

Ava, was wrapped into Ryan's arms, none of them aware of Arthur's intentions. My hands reached my revolver but, I wasn't quick, for I saw him pull the trigger. My heart sank as the bullet hit Ava on her upper back. Instinctively, I pulled the trigger just milliseconds after Ava got shot. 

Two bullets straight into his head. 

Everything went crazy after that. The firing kept ringing in my head as I rushed towards my sister. I took her from Ryan's arms into mine. Her bruised face and closed eyes, shattered me then and there. 

Was I too late? I thought to myself.

I was sitting in my study, sipping the bourbon, as I recalled everything. 

Ryan. 

I had so much mixed feeling about him. At the beginning, I admired him a lot. But after the incident, everything changed. Dante kept asking me not to bring her home to Italy, without asking her first. He kept telling me she loves that guy. But I couldn't let her stay there anymore. Even if we had no enemies left there, Ryan had just begun building up the scattered Mafia again. Anyone could strike him and I couldn't risk keeping Ava around him when they do. I couldn't trust anyone with her safety other than myself

I'm her oldest brother for god's sake. Don't make me the villain here. 

The day she woke up for good, we had a very disturbing conversation.

"Where is Ryan, Enzo?" She looked at me with those big pretty eyes. 

"You brought him and the others here as well right?" She looked so hopeful.

"Please can you send him in here? I need to talk to him." 

I remained silent. 

"Say something! When are we going back?" 

"Never." I said sternly.

"Oh come on, fratello. The Kings have their entire business there and my college-" 

"You are never leaving Italy. Not even this house. And as for the Kings, forget them." I clenched my teeth, since the wounds were still fresh for me. 

She looked at me with her jaws dropped.
"Wh-What you mean? Enzo!" 

I looked away. 

"I love him, Enzo. I love Ryan." Her voice was breaking. I turned towards her to see those eyes filling up with tears.